Chapter 35 - Kidnapped

My breath comes in short pants as I push myself hard running through the forest, my head filled with the many thoughts of Lupus, the Soulless and now Princess Crystalline. There seems to be too much to deal with in one shot.
[You safe Gem?] Ariven's voice calls into our link and I slow my run to a walk, taking a deep breath.
[Yeah. I needed a run.] I answer, leaning against a tree for support as I think of what to do next.
[I understand. That was a lot to take in.]
[It was. Amberle thinks that Princess Crystalline is the Lost Princess.] I spring the news on my mate as he has been helping me search for the Lost Princess and the Moon Stone necklace. Being as two-thousand years have passed since her disappearance caused by the First Prince has me questioning if Crystalline is a distant relative of the Lost Princess.
[Any plans on returning yet?] Ariven asks after a moment of silence passes through the link.
[Not yet. There is a place I have yet to visit.] Sadness seeps into my words while I stare in the direction of the lake where the troubles started fourteen years ago. I haven't visited their graves in years since my rejection and now knowing I was partially the cause of their deaths means I own them an apology.
[I get it Darling. Stay safe and keep your link open.] Ariven calls out gently and I smile, happy to have a mate that is understanding and caring. With an agreement to call out if I need him, I start walking a familiar path that Mika, Lace and I walked with their parents. The forest is calm, sounds of birds chittering getting their last meals in before flying south for winter while the scent of prey like dears and rabbits reach me. I should remind lace to stock up for the winter.
Then the pink waters come into view and as I get even closer to the glistening waters I see a statue sitting proudly looking over the lake. With a sad smile I walk closer to the statue, one made in the likeness of Alpha Sora and Luna Reena, a grave stone as they were buried where they were killed.
"Hello Alpha and Luna." I call out softly, my voice breaking while I slowly kneel in front of their graves.
"I am so sorry for what happened to you. Your death was untimely and you had so much to life left." I start, holding back the tears. Loosing these amazing wolves caused a butterfly effect to the pack, to their pups lives and to my own. I start to talk about finding out my identity, why they were killed when they should have lived a long life, my life after leaving the pack and anything I could think of. Every chance I can, I apologize, curling up in on myself until I am sobbing. I know they are well, Mother reassuring me that they hold no regret but unfortunately I can not talk to them until my own ascension as the Moon Goddess, but I could not help the sadness, grief and guilt that has built over the years. The afternoon turns to evening, then to night.
[Gem Baby are you coming back soon?] Ariven's voice brings me from the grief I am wallowing in, forcing me to open my tired eyes and let out a sigh. I felt better, finally saying my piece to Alpha Sorus and Luna Reena and now I have to finish training their children.
[Yes, I am coming back now.] I answer, standing and stretching my body. I must have dozed off as I cried, my body feeing heavy and groggy and the thought of walking back to the pack house not one I look forward to. Facing the lake, I watch the stars twinkly over the water for a moment until a twig snapping alerts me.
[Ariven I need back up!] I call out, the scent of soulless reaching my nose. Getting ready to fight, I face the direction the sound came from and notice a soulless walking out, its blood read eyes staring me down as they release a feral snarl. Then I feel it, the prick of a needle in my neck and as I turn to see my assailant I am met with ice blue eyes. Lupus.
[Riv...help!] I call out once more before the world fades to black.

help!] I call out once more before the world fades to black