Chapter 25 - First Attack

The familiar howl ends as multiple pare of eyes -red eyes- appear from the forest, the stench of death and decay reaching the ceremony grounds. Days of being in hiding while I search for these soulless bands and nothing. Now they decide to show on a day that should be meant for celebrating.
"Lace, link the Omegas and have them and all children and the weak hide in the safe rooms. Mika, call the warriors on duty and make sure they get those out to safety." I order, rushing to my feet and kicking off the strappy heels that Lace forced me to wear. At least the stilettos will make a great weapon. I watch, the soulless stumbling in as if their limbs are being controlled like marionettes, waiting for an opening to attack and I see it, the first wolf in the middle is leading the pack, his blood red eyes tinted with black. He is the leader. Taking aim, I throw the first stiletto, happy as the sharp thin heel imbeds itself into the right eye of this wolf.
"Everyone shift!" I shout, the sounds of clothes tearing and bones breaking with both Hidden Claws and Silver Crystal Crescent wolves allowing their fur form to come forward while I focus on slowing down the soulless. Deciding to stay back until absolutely necessary, I close my eyes and breath, allowing the light of the moon to seep into me while I feel for the weaker of the soulless. If I can take them out the rest can focus on attacking in pairs. Pin pointing the weaklings, I open my eyes now glowing silver and suck the air from their lungs, giving each wolf a quick death and praying for their souls to find peace. The Goddess of Reincarnation will have a field day with them.
With the weaklings gone, I feels the earth beneath my bare feet, feeling for the Soulless movements as a battle commences before me. Wolves from both Lace's and my pack work together as a team, each taking turns ant tag teaming the soulless. Some have problems as these intelligent soulless group together, fighting back and injuring our wolves. Quickly, I make walls, separating the two on one fights making it easier for the pack wolves to take down the soulless one at a time, but soon my power becomes taxing as I reach my limit.
"Your wolves safe?" I ask Lace, seeing the Alpha nod.
"Many are in the pack house. The rest are in their own safe rooms." She answers, giving me all the information I needed to destroy the walls around the soulless and focus on creating a barrier around the pack house. No one deserves to die at the hands of these feral wolves.
[Geminie behind you!] Ariven links frantically just in time for me to dodge as black dirty fur crashes in the spot I just vacated, the stench of death strong as black blood drips from the wolf with a wounded eye. Recognizing this as the wolf I injured earlier, I shift without hesitation, rushing the wolf as he climbs to his paws just in time to feel my paw swipe across his face, claws tearing into his flesh and tearing at his other eye. Now blinded and bleeding his face covered in the tar colour liquid, the Alpha wolf before me howls in anger and pain, rushing around trying to find me. I stay a few feet away, waiting for the right time to strike – and it does. The wolf trips on a chair from the ceremony, tumbling to the ground with his neck exposed and I take the opportunity to pounce, my fangs tearing into the soft flesh and ripping his jugular open. My white fur is now stained with the stench of the soulless blood forcing me to fight back the vomit that wants to spew forth. I still had wolves to kill.
A searing pain in my right side alerts me to a small soulless who is quick to back away, their movement silent and precise making me question if this wolf used to be a tracker and a high ranking one at that. Ready to chase this wolf, I take one step and realize the searing pain has multiplied as if hundreds of knives have been inserted into my skin with little, tiny cuts and I hold back a howl of my own. I had been poisoned and I am pissed.
Fires erupts from my wound, neutralizing the poison and the pain dulls withing seconds, my body regaining movement. Fear radiates off the small wolf that had snuck up on me as it turns towards the fighting, intent on running away. Unfortunately for them, they pissed off the wrong wolf. Each step I take leaves a singed paw print in the grass until I am close enough to engulf the small wolf in flames from my body, the wolf turning to ash with an instant death. Now on survival mode, I attack any wolf that smells like death and decay, watching bodies drop and turn to ash until a that familiar long slow howl resounds through the night. As if by magic, the remaining soulless retreat from the pack house grounds with wolves in pursuit but I stand still, fear taking over. He is back. The source of many nightmares and fear has returned. And if I am correct, he is the leader of the soulless.
"Geminie the soulless are gone. You can put out your flames." A voice calls out. I growl in warning, ears flattening against my head as I watch a hand be burned by my flames and a scream is heard. The owner of the hand rushes to the side where a small pond waits.
"What the hell is wrong wit her?!" Comes the should of the angry person who has been burned. I growl again, slinking low to the ground. I had to protect myself.
"Something spooked her. She is protecting herself with her flames. I have only seen this once when someone tried to rape her while drunk." A deeper voice answers as a blurry silhouette appears in front of me.
"I am her mate, there is no need to protect herself from me!" The first voice retorts. Something inside me want to burn him some more, but the second voice chimes in.
"Some mate. Everyone abused her for years because your beta decided to get revenge on the Moon Goddess and got your parents killed for their stupidity." This man is angry on behalf of me and instinct tells me to trust him. My flames dampen slightly, the thought of hurting this person bringing me a bit of pain as I whimper slightly.
"Hi Darling, you're safe now." His voice is low as the person before me takes a seat on the grass, his posture nonthreatening. I growl though, not wanting to remove my protection from my body.
"No need to be afraid, I am here to protect you Geminie." Ariven's voice registers in my mind, my animalistic side calming down and the flames open a small passageway. A hand enters, palm up in surrender as it nears me until the tips of his fingers caress my fur. His familiar and calming scent surrounds my body, the flames going out as if blowing a candle and I soon find myself curled in his lap, my body shifting from wolf to human and I cling onto his arm.
"You okay Darling?" Ariven asks, holding me tightly to him as he plants a kiss on my temple.
"No." Is my whispered reply, my eyes tightly shut while I focus on breathing and calming down.
"Want to talk about it?" His hand is drawing soothing circles on my back, the tension in my body melting away.
"Not yet." He sighs, one of worry now of exasperation, and lifts me bridal style into his arms. I feel his steady heart beat and listen to his steady breathing as he walks away from the mess in front of the pack house and towards the guest house when Mika calls out suddenly.
"Gem, that was Him, wasn't it?" He asks, causing me to look my ex in the eye and nod slowly. A look of worry crosses Mika's face as a member of my pack helps to put ointment onto his burned skin. He looks at the moon for a moment, Ariven looking between us with a questioning brow.
"Make sure Ariven is with you at all times. If he is back, something bad is about to happen." I just nod after Mika finishes saying his piece and Ariven continues his walk to the guest house. I needed to feel safer than I currently am, needed to hide away from view for a moment and just feel like a week young adult. I needed home again.

 I needed home again