II. Hunting Trip

II. Hunting Trip.

A/N: I have never been on a hunting trip before, so fair warning all details have been a combination of multiple google search results.

Spring 993 A.D.

Sudden change can cause most people hard time to adjust, not for Niklaus and Thora, it was as if they were built for this, made for these moments in their life.

Thora had become very well adjusted into her new life, managing to spend her time well that it started to blend into an almost effortless routine, between the house chores, the back and forth visitation trips to her family or Niklaus', Thora had also earned a new task, with the help of Ayana, Esther, and the other witches, Thora was taught how to nurse men coming from war, with both magical and human remedies, to the point she would give tips to common friends and family in case they were injured and couldn't reach help.

Niklaus couldn't be more proud finding ways and reasons to brag about his wife's amazing talents, and kind personality. Him on the other hand had taken to helping other villages with his brothers and other men from the village, where they'd have to sometimes travel.

Some days they came back the same day, other days they would last up to a week, Thora would spend them longing for his return, having got used to his constant presence, his departure would be hard. She'd wake in the morning hoping for his return and sleeping each night praying for his safety.

And on his return, Thora with welcome him with feasts, kisses, and long restless nights in their bed, making up for the days of separation.

They were both falling for each other in the simplest of ways, they had become the village lovers' envy, which led Thora to spell protection charms and totems, then scattering them across their longhouse, afraid of the evil eye.

But no matter how much she prayed, no matter how many spells she cast, and totems she charmed, nothing prepared her for hunting season.

Winter had passed and animals were coming out of hibernation, having gone through most of their winter savings of meat, the men began to prepare for hunting season.

And now that Niklaus was responsible for his own home, he had to participate in the hunt. Before his and Thora's union, Finn and Elijah would help their father and Mikeal would dismiss Niklaus, claiming him weak and incompetent.

And if things couldn't get any worse, the witch responsible for charming the animals to come to the village's forest, fell ill and no witch could be trusted to do the spell, making the men travel to find the animals.

Hunting groups were sent, for three days a group would leave to hunt, and on their return, another would be prepared to do the same, until every family or vendor had gotten their Spring hunt.

On the third trip, Mikeal and his sons embarked their journey, leaving behind Kol, Rebekah, Henrik, their mother, and of course Thora behind.

Mikeal and Bjorn, another villager who had two of his sons with him, Edgar and Elias, led the group following the previous groups' directions they were informed of.

The first day had been unsuccessful for both families, making them make camp, after securing the land, Niklaus and Elijah were first watch while the rest slept.

"It seems like the next two days are to be uneventful." Elijah began speech.

"Why such pessimism?" Niklaus asked him, twirling around a three-inch thick branch he found thrown by the fire.

"Every hunt I've been on with father and Finn, since I was old enough to join, father would tell us how the first day would pave road to the rest. If we were to hunt on the first day, it would mean we will return with a large sum, and if we don't, the animals would be scarce." Elijah paused turning to face his brother "And true to his words, each time we hunted on the first day, we would have enough to last us a season." He continued.