III. The Curious Case of Alaric Saltzman's Wife

"You don't need to tiptoe around me, I know you heard everything." Aria spoke, where she sat in the parlour, directly to Stefan, who had walked through the front door, returning from wherever he went after Damon had left an hour ago.

It seemed pointless to try to complete the book Stefan left her, since she lost interest in it, which led her to look around the house, sipping on the occasional glass of whiskey, sometimes bourbon, and if she was bored, she'd switch to a gin, which also meant she was desperate.

"You weren't exactly quiet." He tried to justify, as he walked towards the girl, who held a journal, upon further inspection, he realised it was one of his, he didn't know if he was angry at her invasion of his privacy, or at fault for leaving her home alone, after her fight with Damon.

Noticing his confliction, Aria closed the journal and laid it at the coffee table, "You're a vampire, what's loud for you anyway." She excused him.

"Didn't mean to poke around, but it's bloody boring around here, and I couldn't well leave the house, even if I did, wouldn't know where to go." Aria took a look at his neutral face and kept going "And I wanted to know what happened in the past years, you used to share some of your entries with me, I thought the sentiment wasn't lost over the years."

Stefan nodded after her last words, as memories of 15-year-old him showing her what he wrote in his journal back when he dreamed of being a writer, smiling at the memories he looks back up to face her.

"Don't worry I skipped the smutty parts," Aria winked at him, making Stefan scoff at her, "Promise."

Falling at a comfortable silence, Stefan thinks for a moment before he could make his offer, noticing the blood stain on one of the couches' armrest, he decided to ask.

"What was that earlier?" he asked, confused at the lack of context, Aria shook her head in question, "The girls?" giving him a guilty smile, Aria spoke to defend herself.

"A lapse in judgement on my part, I thought they were icebreakers when Damon approached me, I never truly meant to kill anyone if it's any consolation." Aria explained, making Stefan raise his eyebrows in surprise, not many vampires would ignore the opportunity.

"Then can I trust you to bring that level of control in a place full of humans?" Eyes brightening at the idea, Aria found herself giddily nodding her head, then she calmed at his still raised eyebrows, and softly said yes.

"There's a fundraiser at the Grill later tonight, nothing too exciting, but it's probably better than sitting here all day." Stefan explained, Aria nodded despite not knowing where the place was, after all like Stefan said it's better than sitting here all day. "Damon's gonna be there." He informed wanting to warn her in case she wanted to avoid his brother, yet Aria shrugged at his statement

"What about my clothes?" Not knowing the standards of fashion in this century, Aria wondered if her attire was appropriate to leave the house in.

"That reminds me," Stefan suddenly remembering the duffle bag, he moved to where he left it, by a side table at the house entrance when he first came in this morning, then moved towards where the girl sat.

"I asked my girlfriend for some clothes of hers until you're ready to go out and buy some yourself, hopefully they'll fit." Opening the bag after being handed it, Aria could see some colourful pieces with different textures, some delicate and soft, others rough to the touch, and at the bottom a pair of footwear, it was different than any of the shoes she normally wore in the 1860s, she wondered if they were as uncomfortable as them, hoping for the opposite, but not complaining in anyway.