VI. Death Do Us Part

Summer 999 A.D.

Life had been going very well for Thora and Niklaus' family, the couple's love for each other and their little children never dwindled, in fact it only grow fiercer. Thora after Esther's confession had been extremely cautious and over-protective to the point, she created a pendant similar to Erik's for Eira out of fear, that the girl might tap into her magic and alert Dahlia of her existence.

And despite her ambition to reveal the matter to the young girl, of her magic of course, Esther had convinced her otherwise, out of fear it might trigger whatever magic was inside the girl's genes, if there is any.

Unbeknownst that such neglect towards the girl and worry over her twin brother, had caused envy and jealousy to reside in Eira, seeing the bond between her brother and mother, hurt the girl massively since she was previously the closer one to her mother, yet no matter how she tried to hide those emotions, someone else saw through her acts and confronted her of it. Niklaus.

Which was why the man, took his daughter on a stroll through the forest, while Thora had been busy with Erik in their magical room, as Eira called it.

"What are we doing out here?" after several minutes walking aimlessly, or so she thought, Eira asked her father.

"To pick wildflowers, and fruit." Confused the girl looked up at her father "Whatever for?" she asked again.

"I've seen the little drawings you've made in the tunnels," Niklaus revealed.

"That wasn't me." Eira was quick to deny, fearing the same scolding she got from her grandfather for taking such a hobby.

"Well, that would be a shame, since they were brilliant. I guess we should go back then." Trying to bait his daughter, Niklaus turned to head towards the village again, when Eira told him to wait.

"You think them brilliant." Smiling at her falling for it, Niklaus suppressed it, turning back to face her.

"They were clearly wonderful, such amazing talent, and perfect detailing." He praised, as he crouched down to eye level.

"Thank you." The little girl blushed at her father's compliments, "What for, I thought you hadn't drawn them?" with a cheeky grin Niklaus teased.

"It was I." the girl countered.

"Oh well, then I ought to teach you how to paint then." Standing to his height, Niklaus extended his hand for his daughter to take.

Grinning widely, Eira latched onto her father's hand, and they resumed their course, stopping every now and then when Niklaus would pick flowers or leaves.

Their last stop was at a clearing, where a pond was, a mother duck and her ducklings were swimming peacefully, Niklaus set down the items in hand then sat leaning on a tree and patted the spot next to him for Eira to take place.

"When I was your age, or older, I would come here and paint whatever came to mind, of course my father thought it wasteful, yet I always found myself returning. To the point where your uncle Elijah knew where to find me if I ever disappeared for a long while. It became my peaceful place, even when others knew of its existence, I still felt it my own." Eira nodded as she kept looking with awe at her father's words.

"Who taught how to paint then?" the girl couldn't help but ask "No one,"

"Before I learning how to make my own paints, I used to take from the dried herbs my mother ground. She never knew or maybe she did but never told me so." Niklaus explained, "Over time, I found out how to make them from nature." He took out the harvest he picked during their walk from the bag he had.