11.5 - Backfired Plans

Sativa
"We start now." Maya commands, turning to me.

I nod.

"You don't have any friends, am I right then?"

Here we go.

"Yes," I remain adamantly expressionless. I cannot give her the satisfaction of knowing that she made me feel something - like shame.

"You have no boyfriend?"

I shrug, "Yes."

I felt his eyes again. And, honestly, it was nerve-wracking. Other than the fact that I felt hot and bothered by the fact that I always managed to catch his attention, I felt quite nerved by the fact that he was hardly concentrating on his driving - like, hardly.

I double-checked my seatbelt. Letting my eyes slide over the cool metal as Maya hummed thoughtfully.

"Are you over sixteen?"

"Yes," I murmur.

"Is Romanov your mate?"

"No."

I widen my eyes as the car comes to an abrupt halt. I flinch as my upper body comes in forceful contact with the seatbelt. I thanked the Lord that driver behind us was alert enough to avoid Romanov's possible accident.

The car is silent for a while, nothing but my soft breathes and Romanov's hard ones could be heard.

Slowly, he turned his head ever so slightly to look at me - they were pitch black.

Then, ever so darkly, out of his lips came one daunting question, "Am I your mate?"

"I-I, um no?" I squeak, mentally cursing my candid weakness as of this moment.

His eyes became impossibly darker, "Am I your mate?"

His voice held such a level of power and authority, that I didn't know how to resist. It was coated with such harshness and instability, that I feared denying him his verily preferred answer.

"Yes."

He closed his eyes as if the word had spiritually attacked him. I frowned as he gripped the steering wheel harder, the sound of a crack echoing the car.

I glanced at Maya, but she was staring out of the glass.

I tentatively lean forward, still encased in my seatbelt, I manage to lightly touch his shoulder with the tip of my finger. I didn't want to do this, but his anger, if too much, could make him loose control, that could be fatal. Plus, Maya didn't seem to care - it was almost as if this was a usual occurrence of his. I contemplate pulling my finger away as he visibly stiffens, then relaxes.

"I'm your mate," I force my lips to utter. But, I presume he could have noticed the hollowness behind my words as he roughly pulled away. Causing my hand to fall awkwardly out of them.

I could never be the mate of a killer. Yes, hypocritical to say such a thing. But, this man was different. He killed for no rationale. I settled back as the car begins moving again, the speed increasing as Maya's knuckles turn white from gripping her seatbelt tightly.

"Are your parents alive?"

I cock a brow and keep from wincing, she knew this. "No," I look at her, but her eyes are still glued to the passing scenery. I didn't dare mimic her action, the car was moving so fast, that if I dared looking out, I would truly vomit my liver.

"Did they die of natural causes?" She asked, still not meeting my pointed stare.

"No."

"Really?" I could her the smugness in her voice. "How did they end up dead, then?"