Chapter 1

There were days Naruto would forget himself.

He would sit in his iron, seal reinforced cage, staring at nothing but remembering when life was better and more innocent. Days were brighter, people were kinder and life was easy.

Once upon a time he had a sister. A twin sister.

She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen, and in his line of experience he had seen his own fair share of girls and women walk in and torture him with metal instruments of death. She was the most precious person in his whole life and she had sworn to always be with him, and he with her, because they shared the same soul, they thought the same thoughts, they knew each other so well and so deeply that they might as well be the same person.

They killed her in front of his eyes as he struggled to save her, and for what? So he would become a better pawn.

Naruko was his everything…and they had killed her, slit her throat and laid her body in his cell so he could cry over her. Hug her cold body to his own like his life depended on it, before she was taken away by Kabuto and he never saw what they did to her body but he could guess they threw her away like a bag of dog shit.

When the twins had been handed over by their father to Orochimaru to be experiment on, Naruto only had Naruko to stop him from biting his tongue and bleeding out. He lived for her, as she did for him; they were each other's strength, even as the experiments got crueller and they slowly started to lose their humanity.

His father, Minato.

Konoha.

Fire country.

The whole world…would pay for taking his sister away from him.

Orochimaru slinked through the many cages in his base in Grass country, a sick smile etched on his face as those inside the cages shrank away from him in terror, clenching their eyes shut and praying to whatever god they still believed in to save them. He tutted, a low hissing sound that drove them closer to the bars at the back of their cages; if they still believed in being saved then they still needed to be conditioned to lose that hope. Gladly for him, and sadly for them, he still had more than enough 'tests' to break their will.

The snake Sannin walked to the very end of the prison room of his base and stopped at the smallest cage there, inside it was his most prized test subject.

Naruto. He had no surname seeing as his father disowned him as he was handed over, 'for the good of Konoha' they said.

He was the holder of Kyuubi's chakra, while his dead sister held the great beast's soul. Minato personally made sure the seals were securely in place and added a failsafe seal to kill Naruto if so much as a sliver of Kyuubi chakra escaped. Orochimaru checked and so did Jiraiya and Hiruzen. The snake man didn't know why the Yondaime chose to keep the youngest Namikaze child and hand over the twins, but quite frankly he was too happy to care.

His job was to break Naruto's will and make him a loyal, mindless servant to Konoha. Danzo would have done this much faster but they had entrusted Orochimaru because he was the twins godfather; it was his obligation to raise them to be loyal to Konoha.

The cage the boy was kept in was about two adult shoulder lengths wide and about as tall as the Sannin, but for the painfully unhealthy child the space was more than enough. Though, as he squatted down to Naruto's height and smiled widely into the cage at the boy Naruto didn't move away in fear as usual, or even shiver; he just stayed on his knees, his hands on the ground and his head lowered, making his dirty red hair cover his eyes. Orochimaru could hear the boy breathe in quietly and release it just as low, a continuous process until he coughed for Naruto attention, but got no reaction. The man found it strange that he hadn't been able to look the child in the eyes after his sister had been murdered; either the hair would block them or painfully clenched eyelids would. Seeing his eyes as he tortured the child didn't really matter to him so he chose to ignore it.