Chapter 3

For the Raikage, A, the day started like any other day; he woke up, got out of bed, got decent enough to leave his house and go to the office for another day of monotonous paper work and agreement deals with both obscure and suspicious villages and countries. At exactly eight in the morning his lithely built, silver haired secretary waltzed in, dropped a stack of paper for him to deal with and left wordlessly; recently she had been mad at him that he was having talks with Iwagakure, a village she detested with her whole being for reasons he didn't wish to share with her Kage. She had assured him it wasn't important so he shrugged it off.

After she had left another jounin entered his office to report on the current state of his ninjas on missions outside of Kumo and Lightning country. He had expected the man to say the usual, they all reported back that they were fine, but was mildly alarmed when the other ninja informed him that the radios were offline. That meant they couldn't get information from those in the field and they couldn't get information out, it was a very urgent development and A conveyed that by yelling for the ninja to have it fixed immediately before he went back to skimming through paper. It was a change but a bad change. The communications system for any village, hidden or not, was its beating heart, the leaders office was the brain; the heart of the village was connected with the hearts of other villages it was allied to and if that heart was in danger and it was not able to beat then it wouldn't be able to convey their distress to other villages. It basically left them alone in the world, like an island. Not even the outposts' station around the village could communicate back to home base or even to each other.

At that very moment at the Information and Communications Centre for Kumogakure, the computer engineer called to fix the system scratched his head in thought as he stared straight at the damaged system. It was clear that three to four sword strokes had slashed apart the main servers and that was what brought down the other chains servers connected to it, he shook his head sadly and the head of communications hovering over his shoulder raised an eyebrow.

"Is there a problem?"

"Don't you have eyes idiot? This thing is totally damaged."

The head scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Of course I can see that, I mean can you get it fixed?"

"That's what you're paying me for." Was the sharp reply as he shone his flashlight at the server box, located in a metal box at the very centre of the room with smaller servers situated on the edges of the room and chairs placed before them for people to sit on and remain in constant communication with those outside. "But it'll take me at least six hours to replace everything and connect those other boxes back to It." he said as he pointed his light to the other 'dead' servers

"Well get to it already!"

"Hai, Hai, don't rush me." the man said as he put his flashlight in his mouth and rummaged through his tool box, bringing out a screw driver and beginning to unscrew the bolts holding the server in place. He furrowed his eyebrows and glanced over his shoulder as his hands busily worked. "Hey, what's wrong with the electricity?" the whole one storey building was in pitch blackness, making him wonder why it had happened; he was sure that as he entered there was light.

"Are you just noticing?"

"I wasn't exactly idle, you know." The engineer shot back as he made exaggerated movements of unscrewing a screw.

The head of the centre allowed the sharp tongue reply to roll off his shoulders. "It's been on the fritz since sunrise, I'm not sure why but we think some idiot used a lightning jutsu in the electrical room." He watched animatedly as the engineer removed the bulk of the servers in on strong yank, placed it aside and began removing the coloured wires connected to it.

"Speaking of lightning jutsu, don't you think you should report that the main servers were brutally attacked?" there was a low thump behind him and his eyebrows lowered. "Hey, did you hear what I said?" Still no answer, just painful silence. The man huffed and whirled around, releasing hold of the wires in his grip. "I said are you going to-hah!"