Part 21 Their Song

Chapter 21 Their Song

The day of the Christmas party arrived .

It was a men's only occasion for the zamindari . Asharani stayed back to prepare the rooms for the select few guests who were invited to go hunting with Adhiraj afterwards .

Bhattacharjee moshai went a couple of days earlier along with Piku to prepare the townhouse . Chairs and tables were organized , flowers ordered , wines and liquors ordered . They got Firpo's to cater for it .

The downstairs ballrooms were prepared . The crystal chandeliers were cleaned till they shone like diamonds . An octet band was hired to play ballroom music for the occasion . Invitations had been sent already and the rsvps received .

Adhiraj had redone the house entirely in Italian marble . He had renovated it just a few years back . Brilliant blue and white Spanish tiles were lain on the balcony floor . Italian marbles cut in diamond shapes were installed in the reception area .

This grand old house with it's huge balconies lined with stunning wrought iron railings was beautiful anyway . But he made it shine like a jewel .

The downstairs rooms had beautiful Persian carpets placed everywhere . The red velvet curtains , the polished brassware , the glittering Belgian crystals made the rooms look incredibly glamorous .

In the foyer there was an enormous taxidermied royal Bengal tiger glaring at all comers with it's teeth bared .

The walls were lined with paintings by famous artists and pictures of past Roychowdhuries with their white compatriots , posing in their hunting gear along with their kills .

This house was a showpiece of the Roychowdhury clan . No one was left in any doubt about the wealth and influence of this family just by looking at its splendor .

It was ready for another successful evening of lavish entertainment .

Adhiraj arrived on the day before the party to ensure that things were moving along smoothly . With Bhattacharjee moshai around , he needn't have bothered of course .

The boys' dinner jackets arrived just in time

The boys' dinner jackets arrived just in time . Looking dashing in their new suits , pomaded and perfumed the boys made quite an impact that night .

The two fathers felt very proud .

All his friends complimented Adhiraj on having such a handsome boy but magnificent Piku drew quite a few curious glances . Adhiraj introduced him as his friend's son , making Bhattacharjee moshai feel very flattered .

Adhiraj introduced his son to the few important guests who didn't know him already .

One was the newly appointed district judge , a Bengali aristocrat , Shatikanta Roy . He took a liking to Duke and stood talking to him , asking him about his goals and hobbies . Adhiraj promptly interjected ,