Part 31 Second Chance

Second Chance

Piku and Uma , along with the younger boys , reached Lucknow a few days later and were welcomed home by Ranadeb .

At the first sight of her mother , Rajani rushed to touch her feet but Uma picked her up and hugged her tightly to her chest .

With tears streaming down her face she said , 'forgive me ma for giving you no hope . For making you feel helpless and alone . Thank God you are safe . Thank God you found someone good to take care of you .

'No no ma ,' Rajani cried out , ' what are you saying ? You have never made me feel alone . I always felt loved by you , by Baba , by my brothers , I never felt uncared for .' saying this much Rajani started to weep aloud .

Mother and daughter clung together as if they were meeting after a decade where a mere week had passed since Rajani's disappearance .

Arindam came forward and touched his future mother-in-law's feet .

Reaching up Uma silently touched the top of his head, giving him her blessings . She held his face in her hands and looked deeply into his eyes . In them she saw only sincere love and felt assured again by her daughter's choice .

She turned to her brother and asked , 'Dada , have to decided on a date ? Have you spoken to a priest ?'

'Yes ,' Ranadeb nodded and replied , ' next Friday is a very auspicious day . What do you think ?'

' Yes , it's fine .' Uma said , ' Let's start making arrangements . Here .' She extended her hand and handed over a cloth bag . In it were her personal savings amounting to nearly 6 thousand Rupees .

'Use this for the wedding expenses and if anything remains , it can be her dowry .' She said .

' I've brought my jewelry along since there's not enough time for ordering new ones for her now . We can do that later but she cannot sit on the wedding stool with an unadorned body .' She said and extended her entire life's savings at her brother .

Her brother immediately thrust the money back in her hand .

'Have you gone mad ? I am her Mama . She is just as dear to me as my own daughters . Don't show your money to me , put it away right now unless you want your Dada to be angry . I'm conducting this wedding under my roof , all its expenses are mine .' He said, frowning furiously at her .

Uma tried to argue but didn't get to utter a word .

' Give the money to her as her dowry if you wish but I'm not touching it . Don't you dare insult me like this .' Rana said , glaring at her .

Thus, arguing loudly brother and sister continued with the wedding plans .

Rajani and Piku stood watching them and smiled at each other . This was so like them ! Piku hugged his sister and whispered to her ,' i'm so proud of you , Didi . You showed so much courage and strength .' 

Rajani shook her head . She said , ' it's not my courage or strength , it's all Ani, Piku . He persuaded me to dream again . It's his love , his conviction that gave him the strength to do something this brazen .'

Piku hugged her tighter . He said ,' looking for love and fighting for a happy future doesn't make you brazen Didi , it makes you human . ' They clung together , hiding their tears from each other .

Rajani got a chance to introduce her future husband to her brother earlier than she could have ever imagined . They shook hands and hugged each other , instantly recognizing a kindred spirit . Their mutual love for this tall , elegant young lady was enough to bind them together .