Part 43 Inexorable Change

Change

Uma stared at her daughter and let out a strangled cry .

Mother and daughter rushed at each other and hugged . They started crying .

Arindam bent down and touched Bhattacharjee moshai's feet . When he went to pay his respect to his mother-in-law , he got dragged into a tearful hug . Laughing and crying they turned and looked at Piku . He was smiling at them from his bed . Their smiles stilled.

They exchanged conspiratorial glances , then turned back and gave him patently fake smiles . Piku lay there wondering what circus he's about to face now .

One by one they left the room .

Outside Bhattacharjee moshai asked them , ' who told you ? What do you know ?'

' Asharani devi had written a lengthy letter to Rajani explaining everything in details . So, we know everything .' Ranadeb said.

' Amar , tell me about the case .' he asked Bhattacharejee moshai .

Bhattacharjee moshai shrugged , ' ki abar hobe ? I did not press any charges . Can you imagine this case going to court ? The first thing to come out would be the motive behind the assault . What are we going to say ? They'll be caught under section 377 . They'd be jailed . Adhiraj wouldn't let anyone touch his son of course . So, who do you think will be left behind to face the music alone ?'

He shook his head and looked at his brother-in-law , ' Rana , please do me a favor . Take the children and Uma with you . I'll stay behind to help Adhiraj wrap up everything . I can't leave just yet . I need to organize tickets for Duke's move to UK . Adhiraj plans to send him to UK to study . I'll have to arrange a settlement for Madan . We have to get him out of here without any scandal and ensure that he continues to keep his mouth shut .'

He heaved a heavy breath , ' then, I want to take Piku to our ancestral village . Let me lay everything at the feet of our clan Guruji . Let him guide Piku . I'll also look for a bride for him while I'm in Dhaka . He needs the responsibilities of a real relationship . Once settled , all this notion will be erased from his mind forever . He'll have a household , children and his work . He'll be fine . ' He nodded to himself and Rana nodded back .

Uma and Rajani exchanged shocked glances .

Rajani sat down on the bench next to Uma and whispered to her , ' do you agree with Baba's plan ? Do you think what he's thinking is correct ?'

Uma gave a sarcastic snort and shook her head .

' When has your Baba ever understood his children ? He's stiff as a piece of wood . He only understands the tenets of the law . What does he understand about feelings ? . '

She stared down at her lap and continued quietly , ' hmp . What does he understand about souls. They are limitless , perpetual . The bond of spirits don't follow the boundaries set up by man . Souls are not bound by such laws ! These two are born men in this lifetime, who knows who they were in their past life ? Who knows who they will be in the future? That piece of wood will never understand these two .'

She looked up and cringed . 

 Rana , Bhattacharjee moshai and Arindam were staring at her with their mouths hanging open .

' So, I'm a piece of wood now ? I'm supposed to show myself as a good father by accepting this unnatural relationship ? Is that it ? ' Bhattacharjee moshai stared at Uma , his eyes were almost bulging out .

Uma squared her shoulders and looked back at her husband .

She said , ' I don't expect you to understand what Piku is going through . I don't . I'm just a stupid Ma . I'm not as educated as you nor am I as exalted . But as his mother , I'm asking you not to hurt him anymore . Oke nijer mone chhere dao , leave him alone . Don't disturb him . He has missed too many classes already . He needs to concentrate on his studies . You're saying Duke is going away . So, for now, just let finish his medical degree . Our son needs rest . He's gone through a terrible trauma . We nearly lost him . You seem to have forgotten that . We can think about everything else once he is better . For now , please let him heal and go back to his classes . He has finals coming up next month . Even in this state this poor boy is studying day and night . Going on a pilgrimage or marriage can all wait . His health or his studies cannot .'