Part 26 Nilu's Saga

Nilu's Saga

Niladri had a boyfriend . Someone he was devoted to for about 4-5 months of the year .

During the Calcutta season , a famous baiji from Lucknow would take up residence in Bowbazar with her retinue . Among these people was her son who was her tabla player and accompanist .

Ashraf was crazy about Niladri and when they began a few years back, they seemed to be the couple of the century . For the first year at least, Nilu was blind to anyone other than his kohl wearing , tall , longhaired boyfriend . But he wasn't the type to stay devoted for too long . He settled down to being his exclusive lover during Ashraf's annual stays in Calcutta and went back to his 'card ' clubbing ways for the rest of the year .

Ashraf , while away in Lucknow , wrote telegrams and letters to him almost daily and counted the days till he could come back to him . He was a very jealous and insecure man . He had every reason to be .

Everyone in their circle knew about Nilu's tendencies but no one spoke about it . Nilu's father was a minor king in the north of Bengal and his wealth and connections were immense .

But , the problem of Nilucharan didn't plague our boys for long . Nilu's own crimes brought about his end .

One of the boys Nilu had molested in his childhood , grew up to remember exactly what Nilu had done to him . He was now a driver in his household . He waited and watched as Nilu continued with the same pattern of abuse that he'd endured as a young teenager . He wrote a letter to Ashraf describing his torture in Nilu's hands and wrote in details about the card parties he threw at his townhouse once a week while Ashraf was away .

Ashraf couldn't read Bengali and that letter remained unread for a long time . The young man gave up on  hoping for any help from him . But Ashraf's insecurity and curiosity regarding his boyfriend's behavior, got the better of him and the mysterious letter from Calcutta got to see the light of day .

He got a Bengali reading friend to read it out to him . The content of the letter , thus read out aloud , humiliated him beyond endurance . Ashraf decided to verify its contents with his own eyes and thus rushed to Calcutta .

That night , he watched quietly from a distance , as car after car entered Nilu's compound . He quietly jumped over the wall and watched the horrendous sight of Nilu sitting with a young teenaged boy on his lap , making him sip from a glass of wine in the room hazy with smoke . The other men in the room were fondling children on their laps , some partially undressed. Seething, he watched these wolves have their gory fun and waited .

In the midst of the festivities an unexpected guest arrived.

Duke turned up, armed with the second-hand invitation Nanda had casually thrown at him.

An usher opened the door and led him into the library. A child dressed like a king came up to him with a tray and Duke took the mask proffered to him with a confused smile. Another child offered him a glass of wine.

He looked around and immediately noticed the children. They were serving each guest.

The guests were all in masks. He stood in stunned silence and watched the children being tickled and fondled and the guffaws that followed. The room, dark and smoke filled, brought bitter bile up to his mouth. He dashed out and stood retching into the bush outside.

Nilu noticed him and got up languidly. He caressed the cheeks of his server and whispered something to him. Then, followed Duke out.

He lounged with his back against the wall and watched Duke empty the contents of his stomach into his shrubbery.