13) w o r r i e d

For as long as Ash could remember, he had been called a spitting image of his dad Avi. It wasn't just the angular shape of their faces or the tall and slim build they shared, but the solemn and gruff demeanor which was an essential part of their personalities. People often assumed Avi to be humourless, just like they assumed Ash to be, and he smiled about as often as his son did. 

Lately those smiles had become even rarer, and the circles under Avi's eyes spoke about sleepless nights and days filled with stress and worry. The most frustrating part was that although Ash could see it straight from his face, he refused to put it in words. Ash always needed to fish the information from his mom or by circling around the topic and trying to trick his dad into answering. 

"Have you eaten yet?" Ash's mom, Eliana, turned to look at Ash over her shoulder. 

"I have." Ash told her and snatched the teapot from her hand. "Let me do it, ma."

Eliana was everything Ash and Avi weren't: always seeming to find the right words, showering everyone with love and kindness and, above all, she never ceased to smile. She didn't look like Ash with her thick black hair flowing all the way to her lower back and the tiny, short build of her. But Ash had her russet brown, thoughtful eyes.

"No, sit down, I'll do it." Ash scolded his mom when she started craning for the tea mugs next. Sitting and waiting wasn't something Eliana was used to doing, but Ash could see the small twitches on her hands, so he wanted to make sure she wouldn't strain herself too much.

Ash poured steaming water in three mugs and measured the Milk Oolong tea leaves in the tea strainers and set the mugs on the table. The tea had a sweet flowery scent, which always reminded him from his childhood, although they had had to switch to a cheaper low-quality brand. Milk Oolong was expensive and they could no longer afford the real deal, which was a shame since Eliana loved it.

Soon Avi joined them at the table, taking slow sips from his tea. Eliana began by telling how things had been going on in the neighborhood, which was to say that nothing had changed. They had the same old neighbors who had the same old troubles and joys. 

"Still working with Javier Muños?" Avi asked when Eliana was done talking. He knew Javier Muños and his parents as they had lived next door when they were younger. Javier Muños had been called by his full name even then, as there was another Javier in the neighborhood and they were constantly mixed up.

"Yeah. He asked about you actually." Ash shrugged and took a sip from his tea. 

"Tell him to come over."

"I will." Ash promised, and then they grew silent, trying to think of something else to talk about.

"Have you met anyone new?" What Eliana was really asking was if Ash was seeing someone.

His thoughts immediately went to Miles, and he tried to ignore the fluttering sensation in his stomach he got just by thinking about the smile on Miles' lips and the sound of his laughter. 

"There might be.. someone." Ash admitted eventually, looking down at his mug.

"Oh, do tell." Eliana's face brightened and she leaned closer over the table. Even Avi seemed to be waiting keenly for more information about the mystery guy.

"He is, well.. His dad is filthy rich." Ash began, trying to think of how to put it all in words. "But he's not arrogant even though he's rich as well. It's the opposite actually. I don't think he realizes how much people enjoy his company. He can keep the conversation going just by himself, and he's funny and he's always smiling. Benjamin, his friend, is seeing Eli, that's how we met."

"What's his name?" Eliana asked softly, a gentle smile dancing on her lips, and set her hand on top of Ash's over the table.

"Miles."