Prologue

10 years later...

"Cheers!"

They all clinked their glasses together and chugged the entire tequila down. I merely watched them grimace from the bitterness, but laughed it off anyway. Priscilla was the first one to notice my glass is still full.

"Come on, Shane. Drink up! It's your birthday for crying out loud!" She urged, bringing the glass to my lips. I dodged it.

"No, thanks. I really don't want to drink tonight with random strangers." I grabbed her by the elbow and dragged her away from the men she invited without my permission. "Listen, Pri. When you told me I'd like the venue the last thing I thought of would be a nightclub. Out of all the places you could take me to, why a nightclub?!"

Pri waved me off while laughing, "Oh come on. It's been what? Ten years since the last time we came here?" I narrowed my eyes at her. "It's not like you're not allowed to come here anymore."

"Pri, for the last time...I am a married woman." I looked around to find familiar faces, hoping I would not see one. It's bad enough that I came to a nightclub wearing a backless dress, what's worse is that my best friend invited men to my mini birthday celebration. "If other people recognized me here, it will threaten my marriage!"

She rolled her eyes at me.

"Shane, let's be honest here. You want to destroy this marriage for ten years now." She shot me a meaningful look. "Here's your chance to do it."

"What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you want the public to remember me as the cheater? No, thank you. I already had my fill from a bad reputation since college. I don't want to go through that again." I folded my arms over my chest. "Besides, I don't fuck with random strangers anymore."

"Mm, right. Ever since you ghosted Kier--"

"Please don't bring up his name." I cut her off. "I...I really don't want to hear that name anymore. It's been ten years. I've moved on, and I'm pretty sure so did he. I'm already married. There's no use on hanging on to a past that's meant to be forgotten."

Melanie didn't buy it, but shrugged it off anyway.

"Fine, then. Let's just drink with Denver and Tyreese as friends, Mrs. Maclain." She smiled to rub salt to the old wounds I'm trying my hardest to heal.

After a good fifteen minutes conversing with these men, I left the bar to head down to the parking lot where my car awaits. I got inside, opened my vape's cap and took a hit. I exhaled slowly, blinking through the forming tears.

"You left him. There's no use dwelling to the relationship you destroyed." I ran a hand through my hair as I inserted my keys to the ignition.

I drove home.

Vincent was already waiting for me in our bedroom when I arrived. I placed my purse on my bed by the left wing of our quarters and took my heels off, kicking them under.

"Priscilla?"

"M-hmm."

He shook his head, "Of course it is."

Currently occupied with his work as a lawyer, he sat on his bed skimming through the documents laid out before him.

"Should we get a divorce?" I asked while taking my earring offs in front of the mirror.

"Should we?"

"Maybe we should. We already gave this marriage a decade, I'm pretty sure our parents won't mind now." I tell him, shooting my husband a look from the mirror's reflection. He visibly sighs, shaking his head lightly and looks up from the documents he just signed.