Chapter Forty Eight

A/n: I had to do a little research for this chapter huehue.

CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT - Karma's a Bitch Named Anastasia Shane

Third Person's PoV

SIX MONTHS EARLIER...

Nagsitipon ang mga media at ng mga paparazzi sa may gate ng sementeryo kung saan ililibing si Anton De Vera. Marami-rami pa rin ang dumalo kahit na pabagsak na ang kanilang kumpanya.

Naroon si Divine De Vera kasama na si Veronica Maclain, iniiyakan ang yumaong dati niyang asawa.

At naroon rin si Shane, ang kaisa-isang anak ng namayapa, ngunit nasa may dulo lang ito. Pakiramdam niyang wala siyang karapatang maupo sa harap kahit na siya ang anak. Ayaw niya ring magpakita sa dalawa.

Makulimlim ang kalangitan at umaambon nang matapos ilibing si Anton. Nagsisialisan na rin ang mga bisita samantalang si Shane ay nagtago sa may mga puno. Inantay niya munang makaalis silang lahat bago buong tapang na linapitan yung lapida.

Itim ang kanyang suot na palda na umaabot hanggang sa baba ng kanyang tuhod. Nakasuot din siya ng sunglasses at itim na doll shoes. Hindi na siya nag-abalang magsuot ng mga mamahaling alahas. Tanging kwintas lang niya na may mga initials ng kanyang pamilya ang nasa leeg nito.

Ni-isang luha walang tumulo sa kaniyang pisngi. Blangko lang ang ekspresyon niyang nakatitig sa lapida. Mabibigat ang kanyang paghinga gawa ng halo-halo nitong nararamdamang emosyon. Galit, sakit, inis, at konsensya.

She was never the perfect daughter. But he was never a good father to her, too.

Months ago, she was planning to send him to prison for all the shit they made her go through. Her plan was set in stone. Now she couldn't even have that satisfaction of seeing him behind bars.

I'm so proud of you, Anastasia Shane.

Her father's words echoed in her head. She shook it off. Shane never felt love from him. Now, she will never know what it's like to feel love from him.

He will never get to meet his grandson.

"I admire your courage for showing up here, Anastasia Shane." Hindi lumingon si Shane nang mapamilyaran niya ang boses na 'yon. "What gives you the right to show up for his funeral?"

"Between the two of us, Divine...I have more rights than you. I may be his illegitimate daughter but I am still his daughter." When she finally looked back at her step-mother, she glared at her with pure hatred.

Divine's face looked older since the last time Shane had seen her. Must be from the stress of not getting what she wants.

"You were planning to send your father, your own blood, to his death. How heartless of you to send your sick father to prison." Divine was shaking in anger. "And now you're pressing charges against your former mother-in-law? Do you have no shame? Do you have no respect to your family who gave you a luxurious life?"

Ibinaling ni Shane mga mata niya pabalik sa lapida. Humawak siya sa kanyang baby bump para kumuha ng lakas na habaan ang kanyang pasensya.

"I never asked to exist as a De Vera. I never asked to be a Maclain bride too." Nanuyom mga kamao niya. "But I at least deserve to live happy. That was too much to ask for from you, is it?"

Humarap siya kay Divine at humakbang papalapit sa kanya. Her devilish smirk never appeared on her face. Instead, she showed her heavenly smile to the woman trembling before her. It's scarier than her signature smirk.

"Oh, Divine..." she laughed heartily, "see you in court."

Then Shane walked away leaving Divine unharmed. A missed opportunity to end everything there with one bullet from the gun she brought.