Epilogue

EPILOGUE - The Dream

Third Person's PoV

Dearest Anastasia Shane,

I sincerely hope you would read this letter. These are you father's final words filled with honesty and, believe it or not, love.

I found out yesterday that I've been diagnosed with coronary heart disease. Which is why I am writing this letter to you, my only daughter. As I hold this pen, I am currently on death's door.

You would never want to hear my story anyway. You would never want to talk to me anymore because of how terrible I have treated you all these years. You are right, I did abandon you. I have no excuses for that. But believe me when I say I have always watched you grow into the woman that you are now.

You bring pride to my name and joy to my heart. You've always aimed for something higher. You made a name for yourself ever since you were little.

I am so sorry that I let you down, giving you away to another family. I will never forget your disappointed face when I forced you to become someone's bride. Even if it is to save you from my ex-wife's wrath, I abandoned you anyway.

Look at you now, Anastasia Shane. You never liked how I forced you to take law, but you've become a legend. You became an unstoppable force, fighting for your beloved family.

How proud I am of you for choosing what your heart desires. You never gave up reaching your dream.

I know it is impossible for me to meet the family you made for yourself. I will never get to meet your son. Keenan, was it? I know that boy will make you proud. No matter where I go, I promise to look after him for you too.

My biggest regret in life was not spending all these years with you. I have to confess. My most cherished memory I have of you was on that beach. Japan, 19xx. How you held my hand tightly 'cause you got scared of the waves. I carried you in my arms, calling your name softly.

I still have your photo with your Mom inside my office. If you want to keep it, along with everything I worked hard for, it's yours.

Love,
Anton De Vera.

'Di inaalis ni Kieran ang tingin niya sa lapida. Hindi niya maibigkas ng mabuti yung pangalang nakasulat doon.

Anastasia Shan D.V. Ramos
December 12, 19xx - March 15, 20xx

Hawak niya ang kanilang anak na mahimbing na natutulog. Bumuntong hininga siya't 'di pa rin makapaniwala sa nangyari.

"Why the hell would you do this, Shane?" Naiinis niyang tanong saka mariing pumikit.

Hindi pa rin niya matanggap.

Dalawang linggo na ang lumipas simula nang maipanganak ni Shane si Keenan. Buhay at malusog ang baby nila at palangiti gaya ni Kieran. Naghalo ang kaniyang mukha pero mas nangingibabaw yung pagkahawig niya sa kaniyang ama.

Unfortunately for Shane, she flatlined inside that emergency room.

"Shane, nangaasar ka ba?" Naiinis ng sambit ni Kieran nang pinaniningkitan ng mata yung lapida. "I didn't think you would actually go this far to drive me crazy."

Lumingon siya sa katabi niyang nakakrus mga bisig at binabasa ring mabuti yung pangalan sa lapida. Maski siya hindi niya rin matanggap.