𝟎𝟎𝟐, 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐇𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲

Chapter Two of Divorce

"Sixty-four... How does that work?" Elliott sat in a chair across from the couch where Inanna sat, slowly losing her mind. It had been hours since Five had left and Elliott had been pestering Inanna for answers.

"Time travel," Inanna answered, running her thumb over the cup rim. She had finished her coffee rather quickly once she had sat on the couch — it was her third since Five had gone to find Diego and Inanna had been using coffee as an excuse to escape Elliott for a moment. However, the only time she had peace and quiet from Elliott was when she went to the toilet and locked the door behind herself.

"And how does that work?" Elliott asked.

Inanna shrugged, "A briefcase".

"A briefcase?" Elliott rubbed his fingers against his temple. "Like-like a—".

"Like a briefcase," Inanna's stare burned into Elliott's skin as he nodded. "Five can do it without one," Inanna stated. "Clearly not well, if he scrambled his siblings across the timeline," Inanna mumbled.

"Five?" Elliott repeated. Inanna was sure that she had already called her husband by his name but she chose not to question it, "His name is Five?" Elliott asked.

Inanna nodded and her head phased with the subtle movement which caused her to close her eyes tightly for a brief moment, "An unloving father plus seven adopted children equals a terrible choice of names".

"Oh," Elliott nodded. A further explanation was needed.

"Suits him though," Inanna mumbled.

"What-what happened to your family?" Elliott asked.

Inanna had never once tried to find her family while she worked at the Commission. She wanted the memories of them to stay happy and if she searched for them Inanna feared that the happiness would be replaced with sadness. She had spent years grieving them in the apocalypse and she didn't plan on reopening those very old wounds. "I don't know. But they aren't even born yet," Inanna shrugged.

The slight raise of his brow and the half nod told Inanna that she was slowly losing Elliott and with all the information she had given him, it was no surprise. However, Elliott was still prepared to continue on, wanting to know everything, even if his brain rotted. Inanna, on the other hand, simply wanted the questions to stop.

"Are we done with these questions?" Inanna asked.

"Please be done," Five spoke from the kitchen, startling Inanna and Elliott.

Inanna launched her coffee cup in Five's direction and screwed her eyes shut again and Elliott almost slid off the chair he was sitting on.

"I got here when you were talking about that cow you befriended while you lived in a barn," Five tucked his hands into his pockets — he had been there for at least ten minutes — and leaned his body forwards as he gave Inanna a tight lipped smile and his eyes darted to the shattered cup on the ground. "Good job that was empty, don't want to be wasting coffee".