Chapter 22: Part 1- Cystic Fibrosis? Or Other News? {Edited}

After Dr. Jones told Sean that Micah might have Cystic Fibrosis, he also started to explain what it was because they were all confused.

“Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disorder that affects most critically the lungs, and also the pancreas, liver, and intestine. Buildup of thick, sticky mucus that can damage many of these body organs. Mucus makes it hard to breathe and he is having shortness of breath. Although this might not be the major symptom, it is something to play close attention to.

“As far as his intestinal blockage is concern, he can have this for many different reasons, but when you add shortness of breath to the symptoms with newborns its a high chance that it can be Cystic Fibrosis. We are going to run some more test, but for right now I’ll take you to Keira’s private room. Only two can go in  but I can see how stressful this is for all of you so you guys can follow me.”

As they all walked down the corridor to Keira’s room, Sean didn’t know what to expect.

“Do you know if you’re a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis?” Dr. Jones asked.

“No I don’t know,” Sean said hesitantly looking at his parents.

“We have no clue either,” Kamara said.

“Ok, well I’m going to give you guys all a DNA test so I can detect the most common mutations in the CF gene,” he told them once they got to Keira’s room door. “I’ll give you guys some alone time with her. She’s heavily sedated and she’ll be going in and out of consciousness.”

Shaking the doctors hand, he thanked him for all that he did for both Keira and Micah. “When can I see Micah?”

“After we are done with him, I’ll come back,” Dr. Jones told him.

After the doctor left, Sean took a deep breath and opened to door leading them all into Keira's room. As soon as he saw her it was as if his whole world came crashing down. With an IV in her left arm and a tube in her throat, Sean would do anything to switch spots with her. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he knew it was his father.

He took a seat right next to Keira and grabbed her hand. All he wanted to do was take that pain away from her because as he continue to watch her chest move irregular, she was. A light squeeze of his hand made Sean jump slightly. He stood up immediately and look down at Keira who could barely keep her eyes open.

“S-sean,” she coughed going against the tube that was in her mouth. Kamara went to the small table by the bed and pour some water inside a small styrofoam cup. Being difficult to give her some water normally, she got a straw, and place the cup in front of Keira and ordered her to take small sips. 

“Just go back to sleep sweetheart,” Kamara told her.

“We’re not going anywhere,” Sean reassured.

“M-m-micah,” Keira tried to pronounce.

Sean bend over to kiss her forehead. “He’s in NICU (Neonatal intensive care unit),” he whispered. “Micah was not harm.” He heard Keira sighed and several moments later she back in a deep sleep due to the heavy anesthesia.

                                               ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later

Keira was still asleep and Sean had still not seen Micah. He was starting to worry for both of them as he paced back and forth.

“Sit down son,” Anthony sighed.

“I’m not sitting down until, Keira wakes up or the doctor-”

The door to the room opened and Dr.Jones walked in. He went straight to Sean and the rest of the family who were trying to stay calm.

Sean rubbed the back of his neck. “Since it took so long, I’m guessing its nothing but bad news,” he said.

“Actually, it just the opposite,” Dr. Jones disagreed. “Micah does not have Cystic Fibrosis,” it was as if the room was finally empty from the heavy tension, “But he does have scar tissue and bowel  obstruction which is intestinal blockage in his small intestines. So what we are going to do for his intestinal blockage is surgically remove it and for his scar tissue make three to four small incisions in his abdomen where they are located. Micah should be perfectly fine.”

“Thank you so much,” Sean exclaimed. He didn’t have anything else to say but give thanks to the doctor.

“As far as Keira is concern,” Dr. Jones started. “Once she wakes up completely, a nurse will be in here to give her stitches to her right arm and place a cast on her arm. There were several shards of glass that punctured the skin. She has to at least keep the cast on for about two to three months.  The nurse is also going to take the tube out of her throat. We don't want her talking while it's in there now. We are going to keep her here for observation since she lost a lot of blood, so maybe two to three days as well.

“Once Micah is done, he will still be in a incubator because he is having trouble breathing and for after surgical precaution.”

“So he’s going to be ok?” Sophia chimed in.

“Yes, I’m more than sure that he will be,” he smiled at the family.

“So do we still need to take a DNA test to see if we are carriers for Cystic Fibrosis.”

“You don’t have to but it is greatly recommended for the future,” Dr. Jones said.

“We'll do it then,” Sean made the decision for everyone but it was a good one.

Dr. Jones dismissed himself for Micah’s surgery and told them that a nurse would come in to take swabs for their DNA test, while the family sat back down and prayed that Micah surgery went well. Even though the doctor said that he would be ok, it didn’t hurt to pray and ask God, the number on healer to scrub in as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Part 1 of Chapter 22, short but I told you guys that it will be detailed as far as what was all going on. So I tried to explain everything and hopefully you guys understand.

No Micah does not have Cystic Fibrosis ;). Hopefully his surgery goes well and Keira has a speedy recovery. IDK maybe;)

Please Comment

Vote

&& Fan :)

~Vicky xoxo