6 | caiyi town

im back yall 😈😈

THE WINDY MORNINGS were one of the occasions, Wei Wuxian particularly enjoyed. The genial breeze that caressed his skin softly, watching the leaves and flower petals fall from it's branches. He sat in the courtyard with a softened smile as he extends his hand out to catch a flower petal, floating amidst the wind.

"Wei-xiong!!", and just like that, the peaceful atmosphere was disrupted by Nie Huaisang. "...", Wei Wuxian kept silent.

Nie Huaisang delightedly informs Wei Wuxian that Lan Qiren has left to attend the Discussion Conference at the Qinghe Nie Clan for the next few days, meaning they will not have classes. Jiang Cheng stood on the side as he spoke, "Let's go. I refuse to believe that I can't find any pheasants on this mountain."

The three walked together, passing through the reception room of Cloud Recesses. Suddenly, Wei Wuxian stopped in his tracks as he encountered the Twin Jade's of Lan.

A few people walked out of the room. Of the two youths at the front, both looked almost identical. The only differences were their ambiences and facial expressions. It was easy to differentiate between the two.

The Jiang brothers took turns introducing themselves to Lan Xichen. Nie Huaisang whispered, "Brother Xichen."

Lan Xichen turned to him as they engaged in meaningless conversation. Wei Wuxian couldn't help but ask, "Zewu-Jun, what are you two going out for?" Lan Xichen explained the circumstances as the Jiang brothers volunteered to help.

Nie Huaisang also wanted to join in, but he had been reminded of his older brother as he met Lan XiChen. Cringing silently, he didn't dare to have fun, "I'll pass and go back so that I can review..." With this act, he hoped that Lan XiChen would put in some good words for him to his brother. Wei WuXian and Jiang Cheng went back to their rooms to prepare.

Lan WangJi looked at them from behind, his brows knitted with confusion, "Brother, why did you decide to bring them? Exterminating ghouls is not suited for joking around."

Lan XiChen answered, "The head disciple and only son of Sect Leader Jiang are quite well-known in Yunmeng. It is likely that they know more than joking around."

Although Lan WangJi didn't express his opinion, the phrase "I beg to differ" was written all over his face.

Lan XiChen spoke again, "And, also, you wish for him to go as well, do you not?"

Lan WangJi was stunned.

Lan XiChen, "I only agreed because you looked as if you wanted the head disciple of Sect Leader Jiang to come with you."

A silence fell upon them, as if the air was frozen solid.

Only after a while did Lan WangJi finally respond, speaking with great difficulty, "There was no such thing."

He wanted to defend himself further, but Wei WuXian and Jiang Cheng already grabbed their swords and headed over, so Lan WangJi had to shut his mouth. The group mounted their swords and set off.

The place where the water ghouls haunted was named Caiyi Town, about ten kilometers away from the Cloud Recesses.

Caiyi Town was connected with paths of water. It was either a net of rivers densely covering the town, or dwellings packed on either sides of the web-like water paths. The houses had white walls and grey roofs, and the rivers were filled with boats of baskets and people. On the banks, they sold flowers, fruits, bamboo crafts, pastries, tea, and silk.

Finally, they arrived in Biling Lake. Wei WuXian spoke, "It doesn't seem like the corpses drowned somewhere else and floated here either. Water ghouls are picky about their area. Most of the time, the only place they settle on is the place they drowned at, and they usually don't leave there."

Lan XiChen nodded, "That is correct. This was why I thought that it was no trivial matter, and asked WangJi to come along, in case something happens."

Wei WuXian asked, "ZeWu-Jun, water ghouls are really clever. If we use the boats and take our time like this, isn't it possible that they'll hide underwater and not come out? Won't we have to keep on searching forever? What if we can't find them?"

Lan WangJi replied, "We will wait until we find them. After all, we do what we must."

Wei Wuxian had a thought, 'It'd be great if there's something that can attract the water ghouls like a fishing bait. Or something that can point out their directions, like a compass.'

As he looked down, he happened to be able to see the bottom of the boat which Lan WangJi was on. An idea flashed across his head, and he called, "Second Young Master Lan"

At the moment, Lan WangJi was keeping a sharp lookout. As he heard the words, he looked up, only to see Wei WuXian's bamboo paddle sweep up a splash of water and strike it toward him. With a tap of his foot, Lan WangJi lightly hopped onto another boat, dodging the spray. He was quite angered, thinking to himself that, sure enough, Wei WuXian was here to fool around, "Pathetic!"

However, Wei WuXian kicked the side of the boat which he was standing on, and tipped it over using the bamboo paddle. On the bottom of the boat, there were three water ghouls with swelling faces and ashen skin, tightly clinging onto the wooden boards!

A disciple who stood nearby immediately suppressed the three. Lan XiChen smiled, "Young Master Wei, how did you know that they were below the boats?"

"The displacement of water was wrong. He was the only person who stood on the boat, yet the displacement was greater than those of boats that carried two people. There must have been something on the bottom."

Lan XiChen praised him, "You are experienced indeed."

Wei WuXian's paddle lightly glided through the water, and the boat's speed quickened, so that he was right next to Lan WangJi's boat. He spoke, "Second Young Master Lan, I didn't splash water on you on purpose. Water ghouls are really clever. If I said it out loud, they would've heard it and got away. Hey, don't ignore me. Why don't you look at me, Second Young Master Lan?"

Lan WangJi finally condescended and gave him a glance, before he could respond, he was interrupted by another disciple, "The net moved!"

Sure enough, the ropes of the net started to wobble. Wei WuXian grimaced, "It's here"

Thick, long hair formed veils of black satin, surging and swelling around the boats. Amid them, pairs of ghastly hands gripped onto the sides. Lan WangJi backhandedly drew his sword, Bichen, and severed ten-or-so wrists on the left of the boat, leaving only palms with fingers digging deep into the wood. As he was about to cut the ones on the right, a red light flashed past, and Wei WuXian's sword was already back in its sheath.

The strange shifts of the water had ceased, and the net also became still once more. Although, a few moments ago, Wei WuXian's sword attacked at an extremely fast speed, Lan WangJi could already tell that the sword he carried was of very high quality.

From within the virid lake, a long shadow darted around the small boat. After Jiang Cheng finished the water ghouls on his side, he was still watching out for any that they had missed. Seeing the shadow, he immediately yelled, "It's coming again!"

***
A/N

I won't be posting in a while, sorry.