Chapter 8: a new hero

Dream POV.

I sat in George’s apartment, not wanting to leave just yet and so I instead turned on the tv. It was time for the late night news, and while I typically wasn’t one to watch that crap unless I wanted information on something I decided to watch it for a while.

An anchorman was on the screen and he gave a smile to the audience. “Now for some news that is developing fast and lifting the mood of the people of L’manburg in this grim time.” A picture appeared on the screen, showing a person that I recognised instantly.

A man wearing an armoured suit, a dark grey, almost black colour, along with yellow, almost orange details. Overtop of his super suit he was wearing a brown trench coat that fell to below his waist, and he didn’t bother to try covering his face at all, his eyes bright in the photo, with his hair barely falling in front of them. Wilbur.

The anchorman began to give a report, and with each word I got angrier. “Today at 5:23pm an attack started on the strip, which is lively and bustling with party goers and couples at night but is surprisingly quiet during the day.” The image on screen changed to a helicopter view of the strip, with a crowd gathered around and several police cars spread out as well.

“Five buildings, including two restaurants, one bar, and one casino were all overrun by criminals identified to be working for the well known sociopath Dream. Over fifty men and women in all, all of which have been apprehended and are being sent to different prisons and police precincts across the country.”

Once again the screen changed, this time to a woman in a lavender coloured dress with smudged make-up, behind her there were also a group of reporters and civilians all crowding around looking at something.

“I was at a Mexican restaurant today with my boyfriend for dinner. It was called Amor de las edades, and these thugs wearing black masks with their heads covered came in. They told everyone that they wanted everything from us and I was so scared that my boyfriend and I were going to die, but then this stranger showed up.”

“He wore a dark grey and yellow supersuit and he took all of those criminals down quickly. He tied them up and ran off like it was nothing. I hate to think what would have happened if he hadn’t turned up!” After the girl in the lavender dress finished her sob story we saw the anchorman again and he continued.

“Us here at L’manburg news were lucky enough to get to have a talk with this new superhero, and we will be showing you this after the break.” As the screen changed to advertising some other shows my face fell. It wasn’t an expression you could describe as I pulled my phone from my pocket and immediately called Sapnap.

“Dream?” The ravenette answered after it rang a couple of times, seeming confused as to why I was calling him, and where I was calling him from.
“Sapnap, look at the news.” I instructed firmly, earning a confused noise coming from the other end of the call.

“Is it important?” He questioned. “I still need to find Karl because he isn’t back yet, and-”
“Yes, it is important.” I hissed at him, my hand tightening around the burner phone I was using with enough pressure that I could have probably cracked it. My voice dropped to a sickly sweet voice. “I want you and Skeppy to get a good look at the next person I am killing.”

“What are you talking about?” Sapnap asked, but before he could question any more I hung up the phone, resting it down on the couch cushion beside me as I watched the screen. One or two more ads showed, one for a movie and the other for a ‘trendy new diet’, before the news report was back on the screen.

“Welcome back ladies and gentlemen. Now before the break I said that we got an exclusive interview with this mysterious new superhero, and we did. So over to our top reporter Dianna Wayne who is talking with this new vigilante as we speak.”

“Thank you,” the woman said with a smile, before turning herself slightly so she was looking over at the familiar brunette in a superhero suit. “So sir, a lot of rumours have been swirling around over the past hour with you at the centre of many of them, so can you start by telling us. What do you call yourself?”

“I call myself Wilbur.” He answered, in that familiar British accent of his, with the familiar boastful look in his eyes. “Wilbur Soot.”
“Wilbur Soot,” Dianna responded slowly. “That is an incredible name. How did you come up with that?” A blush was on her face as she looked him up and down.

“It is my birth name, madam,” he responded happily. “I don’t see the reason to hide my identity from the people I want to protect. How will people trust me if I have so many secrets?”
The female reporter glanced towards the camera, talking directly to the audience as Wilbur smiled from behind her. “This is a fresh opinion from the city's superheroes.”

“Well I am not like a lot of the other superheroes.” He informed the woman. “I am not putting my private life before the safety of the people of L’manburg.”
“And do you work with the other superheroes?” Dianna asked, trying to be inconspicuous as she shuffled closer to Wilbur. “You know, 404, Jacobs, BadBoyHalo?”

“I do not associate with any of the other superheroes.” Wilbur informed her, and I felt my entire body shrivel up with disgust as he gave a bright smile to the reporter. “I am planning on helping this city in ways that they can only imagine.”
“That is noble of you,” she practically swooned before regaining her composure.

“Now, a lot of our viewers are probably wondering what your superpower is. 404 can control electricity. Jacobs can teleport. What powers do you have to help protect the city?”
“Who said you need powers to be a hero?” The brunette asked. “As far as I am concerned all you need to be a hero is to be willing to do the right things.”

“Okay. Now I am sure that you are very busy Mr Wilbur Soot sir, more of the city needing to be protected. So back to you in the studio.” She gave one last smile to the camera before I turned the TV off. Not even a moment later the burner phone began ringing, and I picked it up. Sapnap’s name flashed on the call screen and so I answered.

“What the hell are we going to do to that bastard?”
_________________________________________
1154 words