Chapter 23: Betrayed

Art by straightWhatsThat on Discord. If you want the chance to have your art featured on a chapter then come onto my server (link in Bio) and enter the art contest
_________________________________________
Dream POV

Sapnap and Skeppy were both panting loudly as the two of them struggled to catch up with me, meanwhile I slipped into an alleyway where I knew I would be undetected by Wilbur, or Punz for that matter. “Dream!” They called as they ran after me, and I finally stopped to acknowledge their presence.

I didn’t turn around though, instead stayed facing away from them as they approached me, their footsteps echoing in the alley. “Are you okay?” Skeppy asked, putting his hand on my shoulder, however I immediately pushed him off of me and sent him colliding into the wall. “What the hell man!?” He asked angrily, pushing himself back off of the wall and he glared at me.

“Do I look okay, Skeppy!?” I yelled back, my voice rigid and angry, the smile on my mask a complete opposite to how I was feeling. “The one time I thought I found someone I can fucking trust and he turned out to be a superhero! Do you know what I have told him? What I have shown him? He now knows all of my secrets!”

Skeppy didn’t answer me, averting my gaze as he listened to me yell. Sapnap also listened to me yell, I turned to look at him with a questioning glance from under my mask. “And how do you feel about this Sapnap? Karl turned out to be a hero too. Are you not upset at that? How much does he know about you now?”

Just like with Skeppy, Sapnap didn’t end up saying anything, and I glared at him for a moment before turning back around. “We just told the heroes that we have been trying to kill for years, all the information they needed to put us away for the rest of our lives. And neither of you have anything to say about that?”

They may have had an answer, but I didn’t want to sit around and listen, instead continuing on walking away from the pair of them. I was planning on heading back to the docks, and then from there I wasn’t sure. What could I even do after all of this? Over the past week it had hit after hit after hit. George goes missing; Wilbur betrays us; Punz betrays me; George betrays me.

But I was confused. How the hell was I so fucking blind and so fucking stupid that I didn’t realise I had been manipulated from the start by the brunette. That there was clearly something strange about him from the start. I mean surely there had to be something wrong with him that I should have noticed straight away because I didn’t seem to realise it until now.

Nobody was ever going to love a criminal like me.

I mean, from the moment I first saw him it should have clicked for me. He was stubborn, and stupidly brave. Too stupidly brave and too stubborn to be a normal person who just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. He had no fear, and I just wanted someone who didn’t feel fear. Who didn’t fear me.

Turns out that isn’t the case. Turns out nobody could love me, and that everybody who does is probably just using me. My friend used me, and George used me. Who knows what else will try and use me in the future. Meaning that I probably couldn’t trust anybody anymore. I might not even be able to trust Sapnap and Skeppy.

As I listened quietly I could hear Sapnap and Skeppy talking, and paused for a moment to overhear what the two of them were saying. “So Dream knows now,” Skeppy said quietly. “I didn’t figure out it would happen this soon, or in this way.”
“Why did Karl risk himself for me though?” Sapnap asked, “he exposed himself to save me.”

“Sapnap, it’s clear that he saved you cause he loved you.” Skeppy said quietly. “He exposed himself as a hero to protect you.” As I listened I couldn’t help but grow annoyed, after all this is what I had just feared, since the two of them clearly already knew about the superheroes before I did.

“He exposed himself, and he exposed George. Why would he do that?” I listened to the arsonist and balled my fist up at the thought.
Without waiting to listen for anything else I continued walking off, needing a way to deal with the anger, stress, and fear I was feeling right now.

My hand trailed down to my gun which I had pulled from my holster and I smiled, deciding that I was going to do something in order to distract myself from the pain that I currently felt. I mean maybe if I did do this George would come and I’d get to deal with him.

Tommy POV.

“Okay, so we have our weapons. Now, I just have to end up getting the rest of these back before Philza realises that we’ve taken them.” I smiled as I began shoving the weapons back into my bag, the long sword which I had chosen sitting to my side.

“I still don’t think that it is a good idea to take this from Phil.” Ranboo said, he had a crossbow and on his lap which he was holding tightly and a quiver full of arrows. “If he finds out what we’ve done, who knows what he will do.”
“We have a right to defend ourselves,” I responded, “Phil shouldn’t be mad at us for that.”

Tubbo had decided that he didn’t want to take a weapon, no matter what I offered, he was sitting quietly watching what Ranboo and I were doing the whole time but he didn’t try to stop us.. So I sighed at the pair of them, seeing how reluctant they were.

“Guys, don’t worry. We will be safe. The three of us can be heroes if we learn to fight crimes. I can wield this sword and be the Heroic Big Man! Ranboo, you can learn to use your bow and arrow and be the Enderman! Tubbo, you can learn to fight, or just be the protector like Karl is, and you can be Tubbster!” I tried to convince the pair.

“Speaking of heroes and weapons, you are not meant to have those Tommy.” I heard Phil say from behind me, and immediately I knew that I was going to be in a lot of trouble.
“Shit,” I murmured, before turning over my shoulder to see him standing there with an upset Karl standing behind him, he was probably still upset about his cover being blown.

“Tommy. Care to explain why I went to talk to you after my talk with George and Karl and you were not in your room. Then I went to the armoury when looking for you and several dangerous weapons were gone. And then I find you on the roof of Tubbo’s apartment building with the missing weapons.” Phil questioned, crossing his arms and looking at me disapprovingly.

“Phil,” I responded, trying to act confident. “Yeah, I was just wanting to have a look at the weapons because, you know, I have been talking to you about that for years and-”
“Okay, I understand.” Philza took a moment to think. “We are taking the weapons back now, but afterwards I think I could talk about training you.”
_________________________________________
1271 words