Chapter 28: talk show

Just wanted to remind you (as I am writing this story further ahead than the uploads are), that it jumps back and forth a lot. Between mainly George, Dream, Karl, and Skeppy. However there are a couple of other chapters with the members of Ranboo, Tubbo, Skeppy, or members of the SBI as the mains.

Just a lot of jumping so sorry if what goes on from here gets a little confusing.
_________________________________________
Sapnap POV.

Karl sat calmly beside me, my arm wrapped around his shoulders as he leaned his head on my chest. The two of us were sitting in front of the tv, which was more of a tactic of me trying to keep the brunette calm because he was still upset about what happened a couple of days ago, no matter how much I tried to tell him that he wasn’t at fault he still felt guilty.

Although currently the teleporter was calm, he occasionally did start sniffling or crying again, but I was able to quiet him down with a loving kiss to the forehead. It seemed that when he didn’t have something to focus on he’d start spiralling; feeling terrible about what happened, muttering apologies, trying to find ways of making it up to me. Even though he’s done nothing wrong.

I wasn’t paying too much attention to what he was watching, all that I knew was it was a superhero movie that was playing on a random channel. Meanwhile I was just scrolling on my phone while holding him close.

The docks had been quiet the entire time we had been here, believe me I checked. When Karl or I went to the bathroom I would take the time to look outside, or to listen to the sound of a car engine, or footprints along the shingle, or even the murmur of quietly talking. But there was nothing, it was as if this whole place had been abandoned.

Dream and Skeppy hadn’t been around either. I am pretty sure both of them are off, suffering from heartbreak or mourning the loss of the ones that they love. Honestly part of me was starting to grow concerned about Dream, after all he hasn’t been seen anywhere in days.

Despite all of this, I remained cautious. Any henchmen that had been working for me or Dream or Skeppy, wherever the hell they currently are, probably wouldn’t believe the news when they said that George and Karl were heroes. Just in case though, I did have my gun fully loaded, and holstered to my belt the entire time.

For a couple of minutes I decided to put my phone down, to try and focus on the movie Karl was watching, and the hand that had been holding my phone I moved to his hair, beginning to play with it. I allowed a small look of satisfaction to grow on my face as I saw him leaning into the touch.

The two of us were watching the movie together, I didn’t find it overly exciting, however if Karl was enjoying it after the panic and worry he had been through, I would watch it. The brunette, on the other hand, was fixated on the screen, staring at it intently.

I adjusted myself slightly on the couch, trying to make him more comfortable, while doing so however I bumped the remote that had been sitting beside me. “Shit,” I murmured, as the channel changed. Karl sat up slightly at the sudden change and I muttered a sorry, but as I went to change the channels back I noticed what was actually on.

It was one of those overly trashy talk shows. The types of shows that there are hundreds of, that always seems to be the same celebrities talking about the same gossip, and all doing similar ‘fun’ activities or challenges to make their show different and original. What caught my attention was the fact that the person being interviewed was Wilbur.

The happy expression that had been on my face after spending the day cuddling and comforting the teleporter immediately disappeared as I saw his stupid face. He was sitting with a proud, egotistical stance, and a wide grin, talking with the female talk show host. Just like every other female that I’d seen him on camera with, she seemed to be swooning over him.

I knew a little about this show, it was one of the more iconic ones, called ‘Kathy’s corner’, hosted by a woman who was appropriately named Kathy. She was wearing a white shirt which you could clearly tell was a little too tight, probably as she tried to win the heart of a ‘superhero’.

My eyes narrowed into a glare, watching as he happily chatted with the talk show host, as though he wasn’t lying about almost everything he stood for. Currently the audience was laughing about some joke one of them had said, but I watched as the host motioned for them all to be quiet.

“So Wilbur, obviously over the past couple of days that you have been here in L’manburg. The crime spike that had been beginning recently curved back down. But, I have been wanting to ask about this for a while now, if you are okay with some more… controversial questions. Is that correct?” Karht asked, leaning closer as though she was sharing an intimate secret with him.

The British brunette smirked as he leaned closer to her in response. Gazing intently into her eyes as he told her in the most sincere voice someone could fake. “Anything you want to ask me I will be happy to answer Kathy.”
I swear to god I almost gagged at that.

A blush appeared on the talk show host, probably enjoying every second of her being the centre of Wilbur’s attention. The pick-me energy was radiating off of her and I almost felt bad for Wilbur for having to deal with this.

Almost…

“Well,” she began, once she had calmed herself, (and her stomach which was probably filled with butterflies), down. “There has been a lot of talk around lately, involving the other superheroes. People are saying that both 404 and Jacobs, along with possibly BadBoyHalo and Technoblade, have been working with criminals. Is this true?”

The ‘hero’s’ gaze faltered to look at the audience, and he managed to pull off a surprisingly convincing face of solemnity and concern which would probably put some of the greatest actors of this century to shame.

“Are you sure that you want me to talk about this?” He muttered quietly to her, the microphone attached to his suit allowing the audience to hear him clearly though. “I wouldn’t want to be the one to ruin their reputations, after all of the things they have done for your city.” Wilbur lied, and I could sense how worried Karl was in the safety of my arms.

“So you do know something?” Kathy pressed, trying to get more juicy information for her show, cause everyone knows talk show hosts feed off this kind of thing. “Do you care to tell us?”
“Yes, I will tell you because the city deserves to know.” Wilbur lingered on his words for a moment, turning to look at the audience as he spoke his next sentences with a straight face.

“It is with great sadness that I tell you the four superheroes who have protected you for the past half a decade are all working with the criminals they have been ‘trying’ to catch.” He told the audience, before waiting quietly (and struggling to hide his clear expression of joy), as they all began gasping and murmuring to each other.

I could hear Karl sobbing again, however it felt like the noises were coming from a million miles away as I focused on only the British ‘hero’s’ words. To make it worse he continued, “It’s been going on for years, they have been corrupted by the man who had been training them since the start.” His gaze sweeped the room before his grin widened further.

“I hope that one day the heroes who had lied to you about protecting this great city will change their ways. I want to be able to see them use their powers to actually benefit society. In order to do that I need your help to find them.” A large uproar of support echoed through the room as the anger continued to boil up inside of me. I was close to snapping at this point.

Not a sense of remorse was in Wilbur’s voice as he finished. “The two heroes that are still in L’manburg are Karl Jacobs, and George Davidson. The base where they have been living for the past couple months are the warehouses down by the docks. It is also the place Sapnap, Skeppy, and Dream use for their base of operation. You will possibly find them there.”

All of the anger immediately dissipated inside of me and was instead replaced by worry for our safety as the words left his mouth.
_________________________________________
1514 words