Chapter 36: Lexi's Past

A/N: Hey guys, sort of disappeared on y'all for a minute. I was going through some personal things and just wasn't in the right mind space to sit down and write chapters. I also started taking college classes while I'm still in high school and I wasn't really prepared for the change. I just got really overwhelmed and was struggling with school. Thank you to everyone who has been reading or read my story. I will be uploading chapters again, but I can't promise a set schedule as I do still have a lot of stuff going on with school. Thank you all again for reading my story.

17 years ago, Alexandra Balodis was born in Latvia into the Kazimieras family of thieves. The Kazimieras family was notorious for pulling off impossible heist and leaving no trace. The history of the Kazimieras goes back generations. From the moment Alexandra could talk she was put into training to become a thief. but not just any thief a Kazimieras. 

When Alexandra turned 5 it was time to join her family for her first mission. There was an exhibit being held in Moscow where 3 pieces of art worth over a billion dollars were being showcased. However the security mechanism if triggered will release a toxin gas into the room. Lexi's role was to disable it by crawling through a shaft, while the rest of her family stay hidden in the air ducts.The plan they made was perfect. Lexi had been training for weeks. 

The night of the heist came. Everyone was in place to do their part. It was now time for Lexi to disable the gas mechanism. She crawled through the shaft then crept toward the switch. All she had to was plug the device she was given into the switch so that it could be disabled then open the switch and turn off the poison mechanism. Lexi had opened the switch and was about to turn off the mechanism when all of a sudden gas sprayed all around.

Lexi: What what it this. I was just about to turn it off what going. But what about mate and tevs (mom and dad and brother) and brālis. the poison did I did I kill them - passes out

When Lexi came to she was in the hospital being treated for the poison gas exposure. A doctor came in to talk to her and ask her some questions but Lexi had no recollection of anything since she passed out. She was in stable condition so the doctor allowed a social worker to talk to her. The social worker told her that her entire family mom, dad, and older brother had all passed away in a fire at their home. And that she was going to be adopted by an American family.

This made no sense to Lexi they should have passed away in the air vent. Were they still in there. But then Lexi remembered something. One of the first things she learned about the Kazimieras. If someone is about to get or something happens in the middle of a heist they all die the same way - fire. She'd heard stories of how others went on heists only to somehow die in a fire in their home. The same must have happened to her family too. Only difference Lexi believed their deaths was her fault. If only she had shut off the poison.

When Lexi was discharged from the hospital, the social worker took her home to gather some belonging even though there wasn't much left. She took this time to secretly call her great uncle Ivan Korshunov leader of the Russian mafia and half brother to leader of the Kazimieras. She told him everything from the heist to the fire to her being sent to New York. What she didn't know was that he was already aware of all that.

When Lexi arrived in New York the adoptee family didn't like her and had her put into the foster care system. This was when she met Bella. Their families had known each other but Bella's wasn't part of the Kazimieras. They were independent assassins who worked on a case by case basis. Bella's parents had also passed away in a fire, Bella was the only survivor and she saw her parents die after saving her. They became close from here on. 

Lexi was constantly being tormented by the thought that she killed her family causing her to be physically sick all the time. At this time Emilia was brought to the same foster as them and thus was the start of their friendship. 

Three years later they were all in living in London and Lexi just couldn't stop thinking about her family. She had told the girls they passed in a fire but nothing else. One day when she on her way back she thought she saw someone who looked like her mom. She couldn't believe her eyes. She secretly followed her but lost her in a crowd and went back to the orphanage in confusion. She would never see that women again until years later.