Chapter 3

Batman got into the Batmobile, drove to police headquarters and met the Three Warriors in Commissioner Gordon's office.

"Looks sinister, doesn't it?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Joker released from prison one week ago, immediately buys control of One-Armed Bandit Novelty Company" said Batman.

"Is that why he's sneaking money into the milk machine?" said Sam.

"Could be" said Batman.

"What is that company anyways?" said Charles Wallace.

"Makers of coined operated gadgets" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Gum machines, pinballs, that sort of harmless junk" said Chief O'Hara.

"So he hacked a company that makes harmless things?" said Charles Wallace.

"There's nothing harmless about the Joker, Charles Wallace; we all know that. Or about a machine which returns twenty silver dollars for a dime" said Batman.

"What about the men who install the machine and service them, Commissioner?" said Calvin.

"Clean as driven snow. They're even more surprised than we are" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Ah, it's open and shut. Someone got to that poor innocent machine and gimmicked it" said Chief O'Hara.

"Yeah, Batman, it's the only explanation until we find out what the Joker's game is" said Sam.

"But why would he gimmick a machine?" said Charles Wallace.

"That's a great question, laddy. In the devil's name, why?" said Chief O'Hara.

"I can make a guess" said Batman.

Commissioner Gordon's telephone rang and he answered it saying "yes?"

The secretary lady, Bonnie told him who was calling.

"Yes, Bonnie, put him on the conference phone" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Who is it?" said Calvin.

"It's Principal Schoolfield. Woodrow Roosevelt High" said Commissioner Gordon.

He switched over to the conference phone and turned on the speaker.

"Commissioner Gordon? Another machine has gone mad. In the library. Are the Three Warriors still there? Miss Pan said they would be when she left" said the principal.

"We're right here, sir" said Sam.

"What's the problem?" said Calvin.

"Instead of candy bars, it's dispensing negotiable stocks and bonds. To put it mildly, student morale is cracking up" said Principal Schoolfield. 

"Schoolfield, this is Batman here. Do you hear me?" said Batman.

"Ah, yes. Hello, Batman"

"Who is the president of your student council?"

"A boy named Grayson. Richard Grayson. A fine lad" 

"I'm glad to hear it. Have him call a meeting in your office. The Three Warriors and I will be there shortly" said Batman.

"I'll have him waiting for you. Goodbye" said Principal Schoolfield hanging up the phone.

"I think your hunch was correct, Warriors. Chief O'Hara, get me a visual ID file of the Joker. Meet us at the Batmobile" said Batman.

"Yes sir!" said Chief O'Hara.