Chapter 13

Dick Grayson, wearing a leather jacket and gloves, hid in the alley next to the candy store and spoke to Batman through a transmitter.

"Dog George to Batman. Do you read me? Do you read me, Batman?" he said.

"Loud and clear, over" said Batman.

"I'm about to go in. How's the micro-TV camera working?" said Dick.

"Push button for test pattern" said Batman.

"Roger" said Dick doing as he was told.

Batman turned on the Bat-scope and said "Bat-scope a-okay, Dog George. Rendezvous in Batcave at end of mission. Good luck. Over and out".

Dick found Susie in the candy store drinking juice with Nick and wearing the rhinestone bracelet and fox fur stole the Joker gave her..

"Good gravy, it's Dick Grayson. The president of the student council" said Susie.

"A goodnik like that coming in here?" said Nick. 

Dick strutted in and said "Hi-ya, Sue baby! How's tricks?"

"I must be seeing things. I thought you spent all your spare time studying" said Susie.

"Oh, sure, I used to maybe. But who needs it anymore? You're looking at a guy who's seen the light, Sue baby" said Dick.

He gestured to Nick and said "Who's the boyfriend?"

"Oh, my friends call me Nick"

"No kidding. What do your enemies call you?"

"My enemies ain't in condition to call nobody nothin'"

"Ha! Some joker isn't he?"

Susie awkwardly cleared her throat and said "Uh... you lookin' for something, Dickie boy?"

"Same as everyone else, Sue baby. Some way of making an easy buck, that's all" said Dick.

"You? The ward of that rich millionaire Bruce Wayne?" said Susie. 

"What a skinflint! If I didn't swipe dimes from the butler, I wouldn't have cigarette money!" said Dick.

"Well, here. Have one on me, buster" said Nick.

"Oh, thanks, pal" said Dick.

Nick gave him a cigarette and lit it.

The second the cigarette was lit, Dick broke into a coughing fit.

"I think I better pass this round. I already had two packs today" he said after a second. 

Then he changed the subject and said "So. How's the easy buck setup? Got any leads?" 

"You know, he might be able to help us, Nick. He's a real super athlete" said Susie.

"Oh, is that so?" said Nick.

"You oughta see him climb and stuff. Maybe I should introduce him to..." Susie began.

Nick cut her off and said "Zip your lip, baby!"

"Introduce me to who, Susie?" said Dick.

"Hey, you want a tip, buster?" said Nick quickly.

"Yeah" said Dick.

"Oh, there was a cocktail lounge stuck up recently. These guys used that trick jukebox" said Nick.

"Yeah, I heard about that. Some cute caper" said Dick.

"Yeah, well, here's my tip. You go down to that same joint at exactly three PM today. You might pick yourself up some nickels and dimes" said Nick.

"Thanks, pal" said Dick.

"That's my tip. I'll see ya round, huh?" said Nick.

"Oh, yeah, you'll see me around" said Dick.

He touched Susie's chin and said "So long, Sue baby" then left the candy store.

"Gee, Nick. What's the idea?" said Susie.

"Why, you gorgeous, dumb hunk of cheerleader. Couldn't you see? That guy is strictly a phony" said Nick.

"What do you mean?" said Susie. 

"Already had two packs today, huh? My blind grandmother could see! That guy never had a weed in his hand in his life" said Nick.

He stomped away and used the gum machine to get back into the abandoned garage.

"Good gravy" Susie sighed.