Chapter 12

Morning! Hallelujah!

The mighty power grid serving Gotham City was back in action. 

And in the Batcave, deep below stately Wayne Manor, Batman, Robin and the Three Warriors had just set up the voice analyzer.

"Master scope circuit a-okay" said Robin. 

"Okay, what have we got?" said Sam.

"Let's check the beginning of the tape" said Batman.

"Right. That'll be Susie when we ran into her in the hall" said Robin.

"Susie? In the school that late?" said Calvin.

"Yeah" said Robin.

He played the recording and Susie's voice said "wow, am I ever glad to see you two".

"Perfect" said Batman.

"What do I do? Jump the tape ahead?" said Robin.

"Roger. Pick it up at 12.7. That'll be when we were tied inside that grisly torture van" said Batman.

"12.7, here goes" said Robin. 

He jumped the tape ahead and played it again.

This time, Susie's voice said "oh, what a ball!".

"Gawrsh! The same voice!" said Sam.

"I don't believe it! Susie?" said Robin.

"Quick. Both tapes. Let's run them again back to back" said Batman.

Robin did as he was told and the voice patterns were exactly the same.

"So Susie is a gang member!" said Charles Wallace.

"I did not see that coming" said Calvin.

Robin let his heart break and put his hands on the analyzer.

"Holy Benedict Arnold! Susie! Our chief cheerleader. A member of the Joker's criminal gang! Is it possible, Batman?" Robin sobbed.

Sam gave him a hug from behind and Robin held her hands to hug back.

"Steady, Robin. Steady, old chum" said Batman.

"But how can it be?" said Robin.

"Yeah. Susie always seemed so nice" said Charles Wallace.

"It's an old story, I'm afraid. Old as eve and the apple. That snake, the Joker must have promised her some baubles, led her astray" said Batman.

"But what are we gonna do, Batman?" said Robin.

"It's bitter, but it's a break. The first one we've had. We'll have to use it" said Batman.

"How?" said Sam.

"Let's see. Today is a school holiday, eh? Where does that cute little trickster have to be hiding out?" said Batman.

"I know! The easy living candy store. It's on East Third, two blocks from school" said Robin.

"Get set, Robin. Get set for an ugly job. No. Correction" said Batman. 

"What?" said Robin.

"Not Robin. Dick. Dick Grayson the undercover agent. His job is to get inside that gang" said Batman.

"Couldn't I go too? This involves someone I know too" said Sam.

"No, Sam, everyone knows your identity. If you go, Susie will know you're working with me because you're a Warrior. If Robin goes alone, no one will no he's Dick Grayson" said Batman.

"You're right again, Batman" said Sam.

"Good luck, Robin" said Charles Wallace giving the Boy Wonder a fist bump.

Robin did not want to do this, but he had to. He took a gulp to prepare himself.