Chapter 11

The Three Warriors freed Batman and Robin and reported what they found to Commissioner Gordon.

"A mobile slot machine torture van. The mere possession of such a vehicle violates seventeen separate statutes" said Commissioner Gordon.

"And not a shred of evidence tying it to the devilish Joker. No fingerprints, stolen license plates..." said Chief O'Hara.

"And nothing in the cocktail lounge either" said Calvin.

"But you're ignoring the fact that my enemy Two-Bits is one of the gang, chief. We found him next to that big ol' truck Batman and Robin were in. Is this really why he dropped out of school?" said Sam.

"Very good. You were able to identify a member of the gang" said Batman. 

"Did you find anyone else there?" said Robin. 

"We didn't have time to identify them, but we know there are other members" said Calvin.

"Then it's a good thing we have this" said Batman.

"A reel of tape?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Right. The tape from our anti-crime recorder" said Robin.

"While you three were in the lounge and before we set out tonight, I equipped my utility belt with a tiny microphone transmitter" said Batman.

"What's that for?" said Charles Wallace.

"He recorded everything he went through in case a gang member talked" said Calvin.

"Exactly. Every word those criminals said was recorded in the Batmobile" said Robin.

"But what good will that do, Boy Wonder?" said Chief O'Hara.

"Yeah. What?" said Sam.

"I thought you told us they spoke to you through a trick voice distorter" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Tricky, Commissioner. Tricky but vain. They didn't realize that every human voice has its own private wave pattern" said Batman.

"Private as a fingerprint" said Robin.

"Astounding. But is it evidence? Can it be used by the district attorney?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"True, the courts won't accept it as yet. I think I'll take this tape to the Batcave. Run it through the anti-crime voice analyzer and check it against the voice file" said Batman.

"I get it! That way, we'll learn the identity of the rest of the gang members!" said Charles Wallace.

"Sure! We might be able to follow one of them to the Joker's hideout" said Robin.

"But we know about Two-Bits. Why can't we just follow him?" said Sam.

"If we do, he'll suspect you for sure, Sam. You're his deadly nemesis" said Batman.

"Oh yeah. Makes sense" said Sam.

"But we will be able to find someone we don't know" said Calvin.

"Indeed, Calvin. It's our only card. Let's hope it's a trump" said Batman.

"I'm afraid the Joker may still hold the winning hand, Batman. Will the anti-crime voice analyzer operate without power?" said Commissioner Gordon.

"Fortunately, commissioner, the Batcave is equipped with an anti-crime auxiliary generator which automatically compensates for any power failure" said Batman.

"Saints be praised!" said Chief O'Hara.

"And the Caped Crusader's advanced technology" said Commissioner Gordon.

"To the Batcave!" said Batman.