infected. (gregory house x reader )

You knew the risks when you entered the room. House had made it crystal clear about maintaining shielded from the disease your team was working to diagnose but those lectures were forgotten as you raced inside, resuscitating the patient successfully.

House was at home when Cameron called him, explaining the situation. He was close to hanging up after she told him it didn't have to do with the patient, but he paused when she mentioned your name.

You had been in isolation for an hour when House arrived and you swallowed when you saw his thunderous expression. You left the bed, approaching the glass.

"What in God's name were you thinking?"

"Lower your voice." You returned the glowering look he sent you.

"Like hell I will! You know better!"

"His heart wasn't pumping blood to the rest of his body. I had to do something."

"We don't know what it is he's been infected with!" House clutched his cane tighter, and you knew that he wouldn't have reacted like this if it was someone else on the team.

"Then you better figure it out." You raised an eyebrow.

"So far the symptoms lead to one ending. Death." His eyes softened for a moment at the thought of losing you.

Your relationship was fairly new. In two weeks it would be your four months anniversary but after your brash actions, you might not live to see it. Tears appeared in your eyes, knowing that he was angry because he was faced with losing you if the team didn't figure out what had caused the infection. The one time he didn't hide how he felt about you at work, was when you were infected with a fatal illness if untreated.

"You should have worn the suit." He said with a shake of his head.

"I'm sorry." A tear fell down your cheek and you wiped it away. "I just wanted to help."

House sighed. "I know." He shifted the weight on his leg, "Just try and get some rest. The next few hours aren't going to be easy."

You nodded, having seen yourself the fever and delirium the patient had endured in the hospital shortly after he was admitted. "Okay."

House turned to walk away when you spoke up, "I love you."

He looked at you for a moment. "Tell me when you're not afraid for your life." He said, sounding certain you would get the chance.

You smiled softly, nodding and House headed down the hallway, a sigh leaving his lips. He entered the elevator, closing his eyes once the doors closed. He held onto the handrail, hitting his cane off the wall in an outburst of fear and frustration.

In the fourth hour the team rushed into your room, treating your fever which was abnormally high and causing seizures. House looked at the heart monitor as a steady beat returned, then looked down at you, a sigh leaving his lips.

You exhaled when you felt a cool towel on your forehead and opened your eyes, looking up at Greg who was looking at the team.

"Give us the room." The group walked out and House looked down at your tired eyes.

"Welcome back."

"What happened?" You asked hoarsely.

"Fever induced seizure. We have our first symptom. Twenty bucks says the second is delusions."

You smiled softly. "You're on."

House smiled faintly. "How are you feeling? When our patient had his first seizure he was out for hours."