unconditional ( gregory house x reader )

Your relationship had endured many tests, which was not uncommon around House. You felt as if your relationship was growing stronger since his return from rehab after two months of worrying about him, to fall asleep in his arms was the greatest feeling, knowing he was safe.

The past few days his temper was shorter than normal and that was caused by one thing. His team.

You didn't often visit for lunch because your job was miles in the opposite direction, but today, you had the day off, and you wanted to make sure he had a decent meal.

You waited in his office, placing the containers on his desk to pass the time. You looked up when the door opened, seeing his team enter.

You greeted them with a smile, and Foreman and Chase went to find House while Cameron lingered.

You looked up at her when you realized she was still there, and you sent her a small, unsure smile. She walked closer and your eyebrows furrowed when you saw the misty look in her eyes. "I am so sorry." She began. "If you need someone to talk to, I want you to know that I'm here."

You were surprised when she hugged you. "Um, thank you." You pulled away, "But I have no idea what you're talking about."

Cameron looked confused, "House." She said, "He has brain cancer."

Your eyes widened, and she looked equally surprised and baffled. "He hasn't told you, has he?"

You shakily picked up your handbag, heading to the door. "Sorry. Excuse me." You walked out of House's office and went to knock on Wilson's door.

"Come in." He looked up, surprised to see you.

"Is it true?" You asked, closing the door.

James sighed, putting down his pen, and you slowly sank into a chair in front of his desk.

"Why didn't he tell me?"

"He didn't want anyone to know," James said. "I only found out yesterday."

"How long does he have?" You asked.

"A year at the most. He's going to Boston for treatment." James sighed. "I can't believe he never mentioned it to you."

You wiped away the tears that had fallen and stood up, heading to the door. "I'll see you later."

Before he could speak, the door was closed, and James shook his head with a sigh. Of all people, House should have told you about the cancer treatment.

When he returned to his office, House was surprised to find the lunch on his desk, though a smile formed on his lips at your thoughtfulness. He wondered where you were as Foreman had told him you were in his office ten minutes ago.

The team returned after their treatment started to fail and their patient's condition worsened, and House was in the middle of shutting down possible diagnoses when Wilson stormed in.

"What is the matter with you?"

House turned to him, "I'm gonna need you to narrow it down." He said.

"You didn't tell Y/N about having cancer?"

He rolled his eyes, understanding why you hadn't stayed for lunch. His temper rose, turning to his team. "Okay, who told her?"

Cameron met his gaze, and he scoffed. "Of course."

"She has a right to know." She told him.

"If there was something to know about, then yeah." He started heading to the door. "All you did was scare her."

"You're right; you do it enough."

He laughed sarcastically, not sparing a glance back, heading straight for the elevator.

You were in the bedroom when he arrived home, and despite the many phone calls from Cuddy, he was determined to fix this before it was too late, and you had called every hospital worldwide for the best oncologist.

"Yes, I can have them sent over."

He inwardly groaned when he heard you on the phone. He closed the door and heard you hurriedly hanging up before you appeared in the doorway.

"What are you doing here? Are you feeling okay? Do you need me to -"

"I don't have brain cancer." He told you.

You shook your head. "Don't worry, I found this Doctor in -"

"No, I really don't have brain cancer." He said.

Your eyebrows furrowed, "So why did Cameron say-"

"I lied!" He sighed when he saw the realization on your face. He was surprised, however when you hugged him tightly.

"Oh, thank god." You nuzzled your head into his neck, and he wrapped his arms around you.

"So, you're not mad?"

You lifted your head to meet his gaze, shaking your head. "No, well, yes. But I'm just glad you're okay. Well, as okay as you normally are."

He opened his mouth to speak, but you silenced him with a kiss, bringing him closer. "I love you."

He smiled, "I love you too."

He wrapped his arms around you when you placed your head on his shoulder. He didn't deserve someone like you. You accepted his flaws, and although in the beginning, you had tried to change him, your mindset had changed. You didn't want him to change because this was the man you fell for. However, damaged he may be.