Family

Speed limits meant nothing you to, at that moment. Not when your child had been admitted to the emergency room at PPTH.

It was an accident, the teacher had told you on the phone. The kids had been playing on a jungle-gym and Emma had taken a fall, and she was now on her way to PPTH with Emma, as if that would reassure you.

Clearly, she didnt have kids of her own, and no, looking after them for four hours a day did not a mommy make.

Your heart was racing in your chest, your mind unable to stop the barrage of worst-case scenarios as you headed to PPTH.

You knew House was there and even though you knew he wouldnt let anyone or anything harm Emma, your brain just wouldnt settle. Not until you saw your little girl safe and unhurt.

Before you realized it, you had turned into the parking lot, tyres screeching on the tarred surface as youd pulled into a vacant parking spot near the ER entrance. You rushed into the ER and thankfully the first person you saw was Thirteen.

One look at your face was all she needed. Over there in the waiting room, she pointed to a room on the far end of the hallway and you nodded your head in gratitude. House also reamed the teacher out, so no need to worry about that, Thirteen winked at you and you smiled, despite your anger.

Slowly you made your way over to where Thirteen had told you, heart still thumping in your chest.

Youd better do a good job, I didnt come to you for second-rate service, and make sure it doesnt leave a scar, you heard Houses voice before you saw him. Also, Loki will come for you if you lie, he continues and you hear Emily giggle.

You took another few steps, came to a stop just outside the room and there she was your kid, safe.

Emilys T-shirt was dark with dried blood; but she looked okay. She was seated in Houses lap, one small hand holding Houses and the other holding Emilys favourite plush toy Marvel character Loki, as Cuddy stitched the cut above Emilys right eye.

Your kid is the first to see you and she bounces with excitement as she calls you, jarring Houses leg. You see him wince, but he says nothing.

Hey Em, if you carry on with that, Loki is gonna fall, House tells her and its only then you see Emilys favourite plush toy in Houses hand. Emily stops her bouncing immediately.

Mommy, she calls out and both House and Cuddy look up in your direction. I got a hurt, but daddy said Cuddy is the best at helping and shed make me feel better and then we can get ice-cream, she says in one breath. Its a lot to take in, but your brain focuses on the fact that your kid has just referred to House as her dad.

The both of you hadnt discussed it yet, sure you were both in it for the long haul; and getting Emily to call him daddy wasnt a high priority on either of your lists.

(Y/N), you okay? you hear House ask you. It looks worse than it is, nothing a few stitches cant heal. Its superficial, he continues when you dont say anything. You know he wont lie to you, not when it comes to your or Emilys safety and health.

All done, Cuddy says as she gathers all her tools and strips off her gloves. Now you and mommy and daddy can go and get that ice-cream he promised you, Cuddy tells your kid before making her way out the room.

Emily uses this moment to fall into House, the top of her head just under his chin, one hand fisted in his shirt.

Your eyes snap up to meet Houses and you expect him to make a sarcastic remark, but he doesnt, instead pats the empty space next to him and you collapse into it.

Shes fine (Y/N), I would never let anything happen to her, he tells you and you nod you head in acknowledgement. Also, if youre not okay with her calling me Daddy, Ill tell her to stop, but I dont have any issues with it, he continues softly.

You turn to face him, and you see that hes earnest in his words its more than you can handle so you pull him closer into you and kiss him.

I love you, House, you tell him, and if youre okay with being Emilys dad then Im good with that too.

Okay squirt, how about that ice-cream now? he asks Emily and Emily nods in agreement but makes no attempt to move from her current position. So, you remain like that, Emily sleeping on Houses chest while you lean against his shoulder for as long as possible.

image