Futures

You hated fundraisers

The effort of dressing up and schmoozing old rich donors was not appealing to you in any way, but Dr Cuddy had demanded you be present for the event tonight, and despite all your protesting, she had not budged. Apparently, you had been specifically requested to be present tonight.

So here you were, two hours into the party and wishing you could leave as soon as possible. Youd settled yourself at the bar, preferring to watch instead of participating and actually talking to people. It wasnt that you hated people, it was just that you preferred not to make small talk about mundane subjects.

Cameron and Chase joined you a few minutes after you arrived and neither have bothered mingling with the rest of the patron either. You wondered where their boss was, and then shook your head. House wasnt one for socialising either.

Cuddy hadnt come looking for you and you thought you were home free almost

His voice stops you in your tracks.

A voice you hadnt heard in four years.

Nasal

Whiny

Annoying

You now wonder what it was that attracted you to this man though in your defence you were younger and stupider, so that obviously counted.

(Y/N), Howard Fern calls you and you slowly turn to face him.

You now know why youd been ordered to attend this fundraiser.

The Ferns.

Old Money,

and lots of it.

He hasnt changed much, sure hes older, greying at the temples, small crows feet lining his eyes but hes still good looking in a boy-band type of way

You thank yourself for growing out of that phase. There was one only person in the world you hated, and that was Howard Fern, with all his daddys money, and mommys crappy superior than thou attitude

Its been a while, how are you doing? he asks you as he holds out his arms as though he wants a hug.

You dont move from your seat, there is nothing appealing about this man to you anymore and just the action of him wanting a hug in greeting annoys you, but you do answer him.

Im good, Howard. You keep the conversation as short as possible so you dont ask him how hes doing.

You dont need to either because a woman sidles up to him, one hand winding around Howards back while the other caresses her pregnant abdomen – almost full term – by your estimation. You recognise her as one of the patients who comes to your suites, though shes under the care of another doctor.

She introduces herself as Howards wife and Howie Juniors mother. You want to roll your eyes, but you resist the urge. You dont hold out your hand to shake hers either. Cameron, does and this gives Chase a chance to ask you just who the Howard is.

I see youre still averse to human touch, Howard says. You refrain from saying anything.

You note as Howard glances at your hands and then at the people around you, no doubt looking for your partner. Your theory is proven a minute later when he asks you where Dr. (Y/L/N) is.

Before you can answer Howard, a smooth voice responds for you.

Hes right here, one Dr Gregory House says as he bands a hand around your waist, pulling you gently into him. Although she doesnt need me to be the Dr, she goes by Dr (Y/Full/N) Board certified in paediatric surgery, also specialised in OB-GYN, House informs Howard. But we do make a fine power-couple, dont we, honey?

The fact that House has come to your rescue makes you wonder if hes high on medication, because you cant smell the alcohol on him, so he cant possibly be drunk.

Chases reaction is a raised, questioning eyebrow while Cameron looks like shes going to burst an artery.

Howard and I dated a while ago. We had different ideas, too used to daddys money. Couldnt make a decision without asking mommy. Also, marriage and kids wasnt for him turned out marriage and kids with me wasnt his thing.

Wait, youre (Y/N), Cindy asks you and you nod your head. So, Ive been seeing you for the last eight months and I had no clue you were Howards ex, she says. You already dont like Cindy.

Well, as far as Im concerned, you traded down, Harold, House says, as he tightens his hold around you.

Now if youll excuse us, weve only paid the sitter for an hour and a half and weve been here longer, and Emma hates when we cant tuck her in at night, House says as he leads you to the exit of the room and into the elevator.

The metal doors just swish shut when you turn to House. What the hell was that? you ask incredulously.

You and House have been dating for just over a year, and surprisingly no one has asked either of you about it. You hadnt meant to keep it secret, but there was no time or reason to blurt it out either. Youre both taking it slow, and neither of you had broached the subject of marriage or kids yet. But this

This changes everything.

He was being an ass, House responds.

And you thought lying to him about me being married and having kids was going to help? you dont know if you want to kiss him or strangle him.

Well it did shut him up, House says and you have to admit, hes right.

Besides House continues he doesnt know Emmas just a twinkle in her daddys eye, but if we start tonight, and we get lucky, shell be here in about nine months you wait for a sarcastic remark or a taunt after that, as House is so used to giving, but nothing follows.

You dont know if hes joking or not.

Wait are you serious? you ask.

He doesnt verbally answer, just presses his mouth to yours and kisses you gently. Its all the confirmation you need.

image