Birthday

The sound of laughter greets you as you make your way into your home. You'd expected everyone to have left by now, seeing as it was past ten on a weeknight, but the party was still going on.

You hang your coat on the coat rack and place your weapon and shield in the safe and lock the metal box before making your way in the direction of the noise.

You're not surprised to see Wilson and Chase as well as their respective partners, though you hadn't expected Thirteen and her partner.

There apparently debating between DC comics and Marvel and which superhero is the best, no one can agree on anything, Loki is the best, you think to yourself.

Thirteen is the first to see you and she wastes no time in asking your opinion.

Im not touching that with a ten-foot pole, you reply as you settle in the empty chair next to House.

You feel Houses hand on your knee, squeezing gently, and you place your hand over his.

So, what did you get the birthday boy? Chase asks you and turn to look at him, stunned.

You hadnt gone out and bought anything, knowing House didnt like birthdays, more so his own, so you decided to go with something less obvious.

It had taken you a painstaking three weeks to figure out the best gift you could think of and once you knew what it was the rest was easy. Besides, what could you possibly get a person who wanted for nothing?

Let the woman eat before you start interrogating her, House tells Chase as he hands you a plate. Foods in the fridge, didnt know when to expect you, he says as you stand to make your way to the kitchen.

But youre not hungry, not after the day youve had. You do however, have place for dessert and pull out the cake youd baked and frosted, the day before.

House might be a good cook, but je has nothing on you as a baker.

You place the cake on the table and needless to say, they all want to know where youd bought it from. You give them the name of the most recommended bakery in town.

Its not fancy, not by a long shot, but it is personalised to House.

Chase wants to know how you got the idea of a piano and guitar melding together on the same cake and you cant really answer him.

Music is one of the things that brought you and House together.

Wilson is the first to start singing Happy Birthday and House looks like he wants to disappear. You feel his pain, and as support, you dont join in on the singing.

Finally Thirteen cuts a few slices and hands them out on plates.

You watch as House takes the first bite, you heart hammering in your chest. This is the ultimate test, the taste test. It has to be right, theres no going back from this.

His eyes close, though not a sound escapes him like those ridiculous judges you see tasting food on tv and when he opens them you see tears in the corners of them.

Its only there for a few seconds and then theyre gone, as though it was a figment of your imagination.

The rest of the group praise the bakery and the person responsible for creating this decadent dessert and you dont say a word.

Youve already got all the reaction youd wanted.

Still, you need a minute to yourself, so you excuse yourself to the kitchen to calm your racing heart. You brace your hands against the countertop, squeezing as you breathe in and out.

You hear the sound of his footsteps approaching, coming to a stop just behind you.

He doesnt say a word, just places his hands on your shoulders and turns you around to face him. You cannot meet his gaze.

How did you know? he doesnt ask the full question, though you know he wants to know what it was that prompted you to make that specific cake.

I heard you telling Wilson about your best birthday ever when you were a kid, you admit.

You hadnt meant to eavesdrop, but when House mentioned a specific cake he hadnt eaten since he was seven, you decided that was what you were going to gift him. You wanted him to remember that feeling of happiness.

I didnt mean to eavesdrop you start, but he cuts you off with a press of his lips to yours.

Thank you.

Your eyes snap up to meet his.

You dont have to thank me House, its just a cake, you try to lighten the atmosphere.

No, its not just a cake, (Y/N), he doesnt have to finish the rest of his sentence for you to understand.

We should get back out there or Chase and Wilson are going to come barging in here.

You manage two steps before House pulls you back into him and kisses you again and you respond, eagerly.

I love you, he whispers when you finally pull apart followed by best birthday ever.

image