Chapter 4: Phenex Clan

"Strange... this is really strange"

Riser whispered to himself while looking at everyone's reactions when seeing him thus far. All of which had the look of sympathy, respect, and sadness which he couldn't understand since they shouldn't have those kinds of emotions towards him. Especially after he lost and surrendered his first rating game with Rias.

"Don't tell me... everything's an illusion?"

Riser said before he grabbed his sister's cheeks who was sitting beside him in the dining room.

"Onii-shama... no pinhing!"

Ravel said as Riser pinched her cheeks. Observing her like he was observing a science experiment, causing their father, Lord Phenex, to cough in response. Breaking Riser out of his daze before looking around the dinner table.

"Don't tease your little sister too much, Riser"

Lord Phenex said, causing Riser to awkwardly let go of Ravel, who immediately held her swollen red cheeks from being pinched. Making her pout in response before looking up at her older brother.

"I'm glad you two are getting along well"

A man with blond hair and blue eyes said in a soft voice. Making Riser turn his head to look at his older brother's direction. Smiling at them while he wore a proper nobleman outfit unlike Riser and the 2nd son, Raezil Phenex.

 Smiling at them while he wore a proper nobleman outfit unlike Riser and the 2nd son, Raezil Phenex

"Ruval-"

"Call me big brother, Riser"

Ruval said with a smile on his face. Making Riser awkwardly scratch his cheek in response since even now, he still felt awkward greeting them as his older brother. Especially since most of the time, he was out of the house dealing with the affairs of the Phenex Clan.

"Brother..."

"Good"

Ruval said with a satisfied look on his face before his flashed eyes had the mix of sadness and sympathy when looking at his youngest brother.

In the past, he saw Riser as an outstanding and genius little brother due to being able to read complicated political, language, historical, and magic books at the young age of 6, and even understood its contents clearly without much problem. He was able to master and fully make use of their family's bloodline in the age of 7, and even surpassed their father in terms of strength at the age of 10.

In his eyes, this little brother of him was the key to their clan's rise and future, that's why he willingly let go of the title of a heir and give it to Riser even though he is the youngest among the 3 sons.

The only problem that he has is that he would only work if he feels like it. He was lazy, and felt like a guy who gave up everything. He saw how longingly he looks at Rias from afar when he was a child, but he always just shook his head with a difficult look on his face like he was trying to bury this emotions. He acted weirdly and did many questionable things that children of his age shouldn't be able to do.