Prologue

The day everything went downhill:

He had been shot, my only brother had been shot on duty and now he's lying in hospital in a coma. Who knows if he'll ever come out of it, but he needs to. There are too many people who need him and loves him. His wife needs him, his son needs him, even I need him. After all these years I still need my big brother.

No matter how old you get, you still need your family to get through all the hard times and right now I definitely need my family. I decided to head over to my brother's house to check on my sister-in-law and nephew, I've been doing this a lot ever since Rick went into hospital. His wife Lori spends a lot of her time at my brother's bedside, so I try to take Carl off her hands as much as I could. The good thing that came out of this, is how close we've all become now even if it was under shitty conditions.

I woke up that morning filled with regret, after my moment of weakness from the night before. I looked over to the other side of my bed, there he was laying there, the ex I promised myself I would never crawl back to, but that in itself was difficult since he's my brother's best friend. And he had a way with words. ones that made it impossible to ignore. 

I started to get out of bed, I was almost up before an arm went around my waist pulling me back down on the bed. "c'mon baby, don't leave just yet," He said, holding me up against him.

"I ain't the one that's supposed to be leaving," I remarked, a smile starting to form across my face. I took one look back at his face, a big, goofy smile planted across his and for a moment it fooled me, I started to believe that maybe we could try again. History repeating itself.

I wiggled out of his grip and off of the bed, picking up his clothes off the floor, then throwing them to him. "Aw c'mon baby, you don't want me to leave just yet do ya? We can go back to how things were with us, I still love you," He begged as he began putting on the clothes, I threw to him.

"I'll think about it, but right now I think it's best that you leave" I replied, walking over to my bedroom door and opening it, making the hand motion along with it.

"Alright, but I'm gonna hold you to that," He smirked, walking out the door, then out the front door. He was right though. About not wanting  him to leave just yet. I fall for the 'I love you' every single time. and every time we end up waking up next to each other. Like I said history repeating itself .

**

"Hey Lori," I greeted, as I walked through the front door like it was my own, spotting my SIL standing at the kitchen counter. "Oh, hey Val, sorry I didn't hear you come in," Lori responded.

"All good, Where's Carl?" I questioned, noticing that I couldn't hear him close by.

"In his room, Shane came by not that long ago, said he was on his way to the hospital, and-"

"And Carl wanted to go but you said no." I cut her off, knowing what she was going to say next, as it was nothing new to me. It's just how things were at the moment. 

Lori nodded in reply and made the same motion she does every time she wants me to go talk to him. I nodded back to her and began to head up to my nephew's bedroom.

"knock, knock," I called out as I lightly knocked on his bedroom door. I waited for a moment, hearing his footsteps make their way to the door. "Hi Aunt Val," He greeted, with a big goofy grin on his face as he opened his door seeing me standing there on the other side. "Hey bud, how are ya?" I asked.

"you already know, don't you?"

"Yeah, I do, and as much as you don't li-"

"VAL! CARL! GET YOUR THINGS! WE NEED TO GO NOW!" Lori yelled. Carl immediately started to pack everything he absolutely needed. As I sprinted back down to head back to mine, to grab what I thought would be needed.

I was almost out the door when Lori called back out to me, "IF YOU HAVE WEAPONS, GRAB THEM!" and with that, I got straight back into my car and sped away home, not focusing on the hell that was going on outside. 

That was until I pulled up to my house.

A sickly, pale looking person, came up and tried attacking me, trying rip the flesh off of me. I kicked whoever it was off of me, and sprinted inside, immediately grabbing everything I could with the time I had, including my throwing knives and the gun rick had given me. I could hear my front door swing open, "VAL! ARE YOU IN HERE?" Shane called out, I could hear the worry in his voice.

"YEAH I'M JUST GRABBING EVERYTHING THAT I CAN!" I called back to him, grabbing everything that I had packed and sprinted out the front door, and then loaded what I had in Shane's car before hopping in and speeding off to get Lori and Carl.

**

Author's Note:

Hi everyone the image above is how i envision Val to look (also what she wore that fateful day) however you are free to picture her differently :) I hope you all enjoy the beginning of Valentina "Val" Grimes. I have a lot planned for her and her storyline. I apologise if writing so close to the show itself isn't something you may like, it's just my writing style. I promise to try my best to stay close to it but also have whole other storyline for at least some originality 

- Kenz 🦋🤍