Chapter Thirty Three

Daryl's POV:

"Why does it matter Daryl, it's not like it would mean anything to you!" Val choked, tears still streamed down her face.

"It matters cause seeing you hurt, hurts me. Since I-I-"

"I love you." I muttered, lifting her chin, wiping a couple of tears off her cheek.

"What?"

'Great good one Daryl, fucked up once again.' I mentally cursed at myself. I waited for the rejection that I believed was to come but it didn't. "I love you too." She muttered finally.

"Are you serious?"

"I should be asking you that," She giggled, a smile overcoming her tears.

"Are you going to tell?" I questioned, referring to what happened brought me here in the first place.

"I can't have a baby okay. Is that what you wanted to hear?" She muttered.

"Closest I'll ever get are the two out there and I don't know if that'll ever be enough for me."

"How do you know you can't?" I asked, confusion setting in.

"I went to get it looked at, a good few years ago now. I have a 10% chance and even then that's pushing it. It may not be a big deal anymore, but it still hurts to be reminded of a dream you can never have."

"All I wanted was my own, and I can never have that." She mumbled sadly, as the tears rolled back down.

"It's stupid,"

"It's not Val. But I'm telling you it doesn't change the fact that I want to be with you."

"God, you're a big softie now." She sniffled, forcing a sly smile.

"Only around you." I chuckled, pulling her into my chest.

**

Oscar, Carl, and I went back further into the prison, looking to clear as much more as could, not wanting to risk being overrun. "Check it out, man. Must have missed it last night." Oscar stated, as the sound of metal clanging, caught our attention. "It's probably just one or two of 'em. Don't look they got much fight. They ain't going nowhere. We'll take care of it on the way back." I said beginning to move forward.

"You know, my mom, she liked her wine. She liked to smoke in bed. Virginia Slims." I began to tell Carl. I knew the feeling that came from losing a parent, just maybe not the same way as he did. "I was playing out with the kids in the neighbourhood. I could do that with Merle gone. They had bikes, I didn't. We heard sirens getting louder."

"They jumped on their bikes, ran after it, you know, hoping to see something worth seeing. I ran after them, but I couldn't keep up. I ran around a corner and saw my friends looking at me. Hell, I saw everybody looking at me. Fire trucks everywhere. People from the neighbourhood."

"It was my house they were there for. It was my mom in bed burnt down to nothing."

"That was the hard part You know, she was just gone. Erased Nothing left of her. People said it was better that way. I don't know. Just made it seem like it wasn't real, you know?"

"I shot my mom. She was out. Hadn't turned yet. I ended it. It was real." Carl stated.

"Sorry about your mom." He added, looking down at the ground slightly.

"I'm sorry about yours."

**

Val's POV:

I decided to go on a run with Maggie and Glenn. I needed to get out of there while I had the chance even if it's only for a little while. "Are you alright Val?" Maggie questioned as we scouted our surroundings before we pushed any further on. "Yeah I'll be fine, Don't worry about me." I smiled.

"Soooo.. you and Daryl huh?" Maggie asked, lightening the mood as we now stood in front of the store as Glenn began scouting for supplies inside. "I don't know whatcha talking about."

"Val, I saw you both the other night." She laughed. Embarrassment flooded over me.

"You didn't tell anyone did you?"

"No no of course not, not my business to tell. I mean Glenn knows but that's because he was with me when we saw you two."

"Oh god," I laughed.

"Sooo, are you going to tell me how long it's been going for?"

"Well since just before we arrived at the farm. I mean I guess you could I had been flirting with him before then but nothing really happened until the farm and even then it's never really progressed further than a kiss."

"That's it?" Maggie asked, a shocked expression on her face as if she was expecting more details than I gave her.

"Yes that's it. What were you expecting?"

"A little more than just a kiss!" She exclaimed with a laugh. "Well I'm sorry it's a little difficult with my brother around!" I laughed, acting offended.

"You can't tell anyone else Maggie, I don't want Rick finding out yet at least not until I'm ready to tell him. I've through this kind of thing before."

"Okay, okay my lips are sealed, but you might want to tell my dad and Beth, they saw you guys too."

"Oh god!" I exclaimed with a huff, sending Maggie into a fit of laughter. "Glenn grab that duck," She piped up, finally calming down.

"What?"

"You heard her, grab the damn duck." I laughed.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah. A kid growing up in a prison could use some toys." Maggie stated.

**

"We just hit the powdered formula jackpot." Glenn stated out of excitement.

"Oh, thank God." I muttered.

"I also got beans, batteries, cocktail wieners, many mustards. It's a straight shot back to the prison from here."

"Probably make it in time for dinner." I said with a smile on my face, after having one of the most successful runs yet.

"I like the quiet. Back there, back home, you can always hear them outside the fence no matter where you are." Maggie added.

"And where is it y'all good people are calling home?" I heard a familiar voice call out to us, making us all jump.

**