Chapter Twenty Six

Val's POV:

"Food's here!" I heard T-dog call out as he came in holding all different kinds of canned goods in his arms. Just the fact that there was finally more food put a wide smile on my face. "Whatcha got there?" I asked, walking over to him.

"Canned beef, canned corn, canned cans." T-dog replied, with a wide smile across his face.

"Sounds good to me," I laughed, before leaving him to it. Overheard my brother telling Lori that they had made a deal with the prisoners to help them clear their own cellblock to live in. I walked back out to where Daryl stood with his crossbow ready. This time the prisoners stayed quiet as I walked in, although I did receive a few stares but that was the least of my worries. "I'm coming with you guys." I whispered to Daryl, instantly getting a concerned yet angry look from him.

"the hell you are." He said, slightly raising his voice yet still trying to whisper back to me.

"Daryl. You're gonna need me and you know that."

"That doesn't mean I'm okay with ye comin' with us."

"Look, lemme help again and I promise that next time I will sit out but any time after that I can't promise you that I will sit out again."

"why do ya have to be so damn stubborn?" He smirked

"It's just the way I am baby." I said, smirking back at him, before I went walk away from him. He grabbed my arm, pulling back to him, quickly looking around before using the hand that already had a grip on me to pull me closer to him, smashing his lips on mine briefly, not even caring that the prisoners were all standing right there. Our moment came to an end, as the sound of the metal door being unlocked and opened. We stood apart as if nothing had happened between the two of us as Rick and T-dog walked in.

"Why do I need this, when I've got a gun?" The man who was the apparent leader of their group (who I learnt was named Tomas) asked, holding up his gun.

"You don't fire guns. Not unless your back's up against the wall. Noise attracts them, really riles them up."

"We'll go in two by two. Daryl will run point with Val, I'll bring up the rear with T-dog. Stay tight, hold formation, no matter how close the walkers get. Anyone breaks ranks, we could all go down, anyone runs off, they could get mistaken for a walker, end up with an axe to the head." My brother mapped, clearing expecting them to listen.

"And that's where you aim. These things only go down with a head shot." Daryl stated, looking them dead in their faces.

"Ain't gotta tell us how to take out a man."

"They ain't men. They're something else."

"Just remember, go for the brain."

**

We walked for a bit down the corridor, slow, steady, and alerted. Needing to be ready for any walker that comes our way so that we see them before they see us. "Man, it's too damn dark in here!" I heard Big Tiny complain.

"Gotta hold it up high out in front of you. You're gonna hear 'em before you see 'em." I heard Daryl say in return.

"It's coming!" Axel said, just about yelling as the sound of growls became closer.

"Shut it." I sneered, wanting to punch him in the face. We stopped close enough that we could just about see two walkers, Daryl started to prepare us to go but before we could do anything the idiotic prisoners sprinted towards, screaming, and attacking the walkers everywhere but the head. The four of us stood there in annoyance as we watched them do the complete opposite to what we explained to them.

**

"It's gotta be the brain! Not the stomach, not the heart, the brain!" Daryl stated frustration in his voice as he shoots an arrow through an incoming walker's head. Oscar actually showing that he understood as he stabbed the next walker through its head. "Like that?" Oscar asked.

"Exactly like that." I replied, looking at Oscar, then

Axel and Rick killing the next two that came our way. "Stay in tight formation, no more prison riot crap!" My brother scowled, as he and Axel stepped back. Soon there were more walkers coming through, everyone now following the original plan, everything was going fine until I noticed Big Tiny sneak off then getting walkers coming towards him, I instantly turned Rick's attention to it. Nodding to me, immediately going to take action, stabbing one of the walkers through the head, Big Tiny's screams started ring out as a walker made a meal out of him. Dumbass Tomas shot the walker in the head, even though he had been told to never use his gun.

Rick shone his flashlight over where Big Tiny got attacked by the walker. "I'm telling you! I don't feel anything, it's just a scratch!" Big Tiny begged.

"I'm sorry man..." My brother apologised.

"I can keep fighting!"

"You cut that old guy's leg off to save his life!"

"Look at where the bite is!"

"Guys, I'm fine! Just... I'm fine. Look, look at me, I'm not changing into one of those things."

"Look, man, there's gotta be something we can do, we could just lock him up!"

"Quarantine him!"

"We gotta do something! Why are you just standing there, we gotta save him!"

"There's nothing we can do."

"You son of a bitch!"

"I'm al..." Big tiny began to say until he got an axe to the head from Tomas, who proceeded on stabbing him, all the blood splattering on me. I stood there shocked at the sudden, and constant impact that was taken to his head. That was the moment I realised that I could never not be shocked at another person's actions in the world that we lived in now.

Tomas had absolutely no remorse or sympathy for the man he just killed so cruelly. I didn't even realise I was standing there not moving, until Daryl pulled me along by my arm. "You alright?" He whispered.

"I don't know yet." I muttered back, looking up at him. Little did I know that it was going to get a lot worse than what it already was in that moment.

**