Chapter Nine

Val's POV:

That night, I just could get an ounce of sleep. Between Carol sobbing and Andrea messing around doing something, who could. I decided to go get some air, maybe finally getting all my thoughts together. I wasn't alone for long as Daryl ended up doing the same I as I did, except his plans were different to mine. "If you're going to look for Sophia, I'm coming with you. I don't care if you want me to or not, I'm going just follow you anyways." I said, catching up to him.

"Alright," was all he said back, before continuing to walk with me by his side now.

**

We walked in silence for a while, not saying a single word to each other. "I think everyone is losing hope," I spoke out, breaking the silence we shared.

"it's written all over their faces, we've barely even started looking."

"Hell, I was younger than her, when I got lost." He said.

"Nine days in the woods eating berries, wiping my ass with poison oak."

"My old man was off on a bender with some waitress. Merle was doing another stint in juvie. Didn't even know I was gone."

"l made my way back though. Went straight into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. No worse for wear. Except my ass itched something awful." I started to laugh at little at what he just said, receiving a look from him.

"Sorry, that must've been awful," I said trying my hardest to contain my laughter.

"Only difference is Sophia's got people looking for her. l call that an advantage."

We came across a walker just hanging off a tree, someone who was bit then hung themselves. The sight of it was just disgusting, made me want to spew. It's not like a lot would've came up, I hadn't really eaten much at all, even at the CDC I only really ate enough to keep myself going, and even then it wasn't a whole lot.

**

Daryl's POV:

I couldn't not look at her, as we walked back to the highway. Everything about her just mesmerized me. I don't know how the hell she's done it but I started to get feelings for her. No way in hell could I tell her, even if there was the tiniest chance, she might've felt the same I no chance with her. She had the most beautiful smile, just that in itself made my heart skip. 'Dammit Dixon you're getting mushy, snap out of it' I mentally told myself off. This girl was making me feel things I have never felt before with anyone.

"Whatcha thinking about Dixon?" She questioned with the goofiest smile on her face, bringing me back to reality.

"You thinking about me?" She asked jokingly, nudging me in the arm still keeping that goofy smile. I laughed along but really I was thinking that I made it obvious to her. "I'm glad you can take my jokes, Shane never really did, or anyone else I've been with that matter. Really, I've never felt more like myself till just now." She stated, looking down at her feet.

"wow, that got deep quick, sorry. I don't really talk about shit with anyone so count yourself lucky." She giggled, looking back up at me trying to hide how she really is feeling. I could see the tears in her eyes she trying her hardest to fight back. "it's just with everything going on these past few days, especially with my big fuck up going back to Shane and all," She continued, tears starting to roll down her face.

''I was just a gullible little puppy, who only wanted someone to love her when nobody else did. Hell, my parents didn't really love or care about me I always did something wrong in their eyes, Rick was the one they loved. He was their golden child. I was never good enough for them."

"my mother blamed me the night I told her I was ra-" she began to say but stopped, keeping her head towards the ground. "I guess I just don't have the best luck when it comes to relationships, I've realised that. I've also realised that I'm just not worth it." She sniffled.

"Ye can' really believe that." I said, lifting her chin so she was looking at me, the tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Val. You're worth it, I don' care if ya believe me cause it's the truth. Shane was stupid enough to lose ya, he never deserved ya. If ye ask me, you deserve every bit of love someone give to you." I continued to say, wiping the ongoing tears that made their way down her beautiful face. I couldn't tell if what I was about to do was going to be a stupid thing or not but I went for it anyways, it'd probably the time I would ever get to. 

Using the finger, I had under her chin to pull her face closer to mine, close enough to collide my lips with hers. I kissed her with all the passion I had. I never really expected her to kiss me back but she did. I started to think that maybe she wanted this too, when we finally pulled away from each other she didn't say anything but the smile she had was enough for me.

**