Chapter Twenty

Val's POV:

We circled back, heading to the highway where we first broke down. I felt like it was best bet in hopefully finding the group, my family. Some of them we found on the way, following behind us as we approached the highway. All I could do was pray that everyone would be safe. The closer we got was when I finally felt some relief, seeing my big brother and nephew were there and alive. Lori and I ran over to them immediately hugging, dropping to the ground as we stayed huddled.

"Where's the rest of us?"

"We're the only ones who made it so far." Rick stated, with a blank look on his face, it was almost cold like.

"Shane?" Lori questioned, Rick shaking his head no in response to Lori. "Andrea?"

"She saved me, then I lost her." Carol answered.

"We saw her go down." T-dog added.

"Patricia?"

"They got her, too. Took her right from me. I was... I was holdin' onto her, Daddy. She just... What about Jimmy? Did you see Jimmy?"

"He was in the RV. It got overrun. You definitely saw Andrea?"

"There were walkers everywhere."

"Did you see her?"

"I'm gonna go back."

"No, You're not." I said, grabbing Daryl by his arm to stop him, before letting go quickly.

"We can't just leave her."

"We don't even know if she's there."

"She isn't there. She isn't. She's somewhere else or she's dead."

"There's no way to find her."

"So, we're not even gonna look for her?"

"We gotta keep moving. There've been walkers crawling all over here."

"I say head east."

"Stay off the main roads. The bigger the road, the more walkers, the more assholes like this one. I got him." Daryl stated, shooting an arrow through the head of the approaching walker.

We all began the long journey to find somewhere that meant we could be safe but it was clear that there would never truly be anywhere that would be completely safe anymore.

**

We had been on the road for a while, until Rick beeped his horn indicting for us all to stop. "You out?"

"Running on fumes."

"We can't stay here."

"We can't all fit in one car."

"We'll have to make a run for some gas in the morning."

"Spend the night here?"

"I'm freezing." Carl complained

"We'll build a fire, yeah?"

"If you go out looking for firewood, stay close."

"Only got so many arrows. How you doing on ammo?"

"Not enough."

"We can't just sit here with our asses hanging out."

"Watch your mouth. Everyone stop panicking and listen to Rick."

"All right, we'll set up a perimeter. In the morning we'll find gas and some supplies. We'll keep pushing on."

"Glenn and I can go make a run now, try and scrounge up some gas."