Chapter Thirty Eight

Val's POV:

I cried the whole way back to the prison. I didn't care if my brother couldn't understand why, my heart was aching, and I didn't have the strength to try and hide it. I just couldn't. The moment the car had stopped within the gates, I got out and ran the rest of the way. All the way inside, straight for the cell I had been sleeping in. I could hear everyone say my name as I ran past but I didn't attempt to stop, only once I reached the bed.

I laid down on the bunk and cried. Cried and cried and cried until I felt like I couldn't cry anymore. I soon felt my eyes become heavy, soon falling asleep without even realising it. I had been exhausted, my body was exhausted, the heartbreak made me exhausted. I knew deep down that if I had to make that choice, I would have made the same one, but it didn't make it sting any less.

I stayed in bed for days on end. Hershel stopped by every so often to check on me make sure I was okay. Beth would come by with little Judith so that I could hold her for a while, every now and then letting me feed her. Maggie would come in and try and talk to me, but every time I pushed her away. I knew her and Glenn were having some problems but that was nothing compared to me. I didn't tell anyone that the Governor had raped me, not the same way as Shane but it was still rape.

I wished I could have pried my skin off of my body with waking moment. I didn't tell a single soul about anything that happened. The only person I wanted right now, walked away, and left me here. I had gotten the strength to finally change my clothes, making me feel just a tiny bit better but it wasn't enough.

**

Daryl's POV:

"There ain't nothing out here but mosquitoes and ants." I commented, as I waited for Merle to finish pissing.

"Patience little brother. Sooner or later, a squirrel is bound to scarry across your path."

"Even so that ain't much food."

"More than nothing."

"I'd have better luck going through one them houses we passed back on the turnoff." I remarked.

"Is that what your new friends taught ya? Hmm? How to loot for booty?"

"We've been at it for hours. Why don't we find a stream try our luck with some fish?"

"I think you're just trying to lead me back to the road, man. Get me over to that prison."

"They got shelter. Food. A pot to piss in. Might not be a bad idea."

"For you, maybe. Ain't gonna be no damn party for me."

"Everyone will get used to each other."

"They're all dead. Makes no difference."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Right about now he's probably hosting a housewarming party where's he gonna bury what's left of your pals." He remarked, before walking off.

"Let's hook some fish. Come on."

He wasn't wrong though, I was trying to find any reason to get back to the prison. I couldn't stop thinking about Val, how broken she looked when I left her. She didn't deserve how I treated her. I loved her and I had broken her heart once again.

**

"Smells to me like the Sawhatchee Creek."

"We didn't go west enough. There's a river down there, it's got to be the Yellow Jacket."

"You have a stroke, boy? We ain't never even come close to Yellow Jacket."

"We didn't go west. Just a little bit south. That's what I think.

"Know what I think? I may have lost my hand, but you lost your sense of direction. Or maybe it's cause you've gotten your dick wet and now you've lost who you are." Merle mocked. I knew he was talking about Val, Of course I was going to be a laughingstock with him ever since I kissed her one last time. "Man, shut up about her!" I scowled.

"Woah! Have I touched a nerve baby brother? Or has the little princess not let ya touch her yet?" He laughed.

"Man just shut the hell up?"

"I went back for you. You weren't there. I didn't cut off your hand, neither. You did that. Way before they locked you up on that roof. You asked for it."

"You know-- you know what's funny to me? You and Sheriff Rick are like this now. Right?I bet you a penny and a fiddle of gold that you never told him or his little sister you seem to care so much about that we were planning on robbing that camp blind.

"It didn't happen."

"Yeah, it didn't 'cause I wasn't there to help you."

"What, like when we were kids, huh? Who left who then?"

"What? Huh? Is that why I lost my hand?"

"You lost your hand 'cause you're a simpleminded piece of shit."

"Yeah? You don't know!" He yelled, grabbing the back of my shirt, which ripped from his grip revealing the scars I bared across my back. "I-- I didn't know he was—" Merle stammered, lost for words after looking at my back. "Yeah, he did. He did the same to you. That's why you left first." I stated, gathering my things while trying to cover up my back.

"I had to, man. I would have killed him otherwise. Where you going?"

"Back where I belong."

"I can't go with you. I tried to kill that black bitch. Beaten the Sheriff's sister. Damn near killed the Chinese kid."

"He's Korean."

"Whatever. Doesn't matter, man. I just can't go with you."

"You know, I may be the one walking away... but you're the one that's leaving-- again."

**