16. Make It Work

[ 16 ]

Yeonjun quietly sat on one of the tables in jungkook's restaurant, eyes roaming around the coffee on the table.

The other four were also as quiet as him, their nervousness showing through the gazes.

"I thought you wanted to talk" they snapped out of their thoughts when yeonjun spoke.

"well you see... we're um... we're sorry" Kai said.

It went quiet again, no words exchanged between them.

"that's it?"

"No it's just we um don't know what to say"

Yeonjun stared at beomgyu in disbelief.

"No we know what to say we just don't know how to say it"

His gaze then followed taehyun.

"No we know how to say it we just don't have the courage to say it"

And then soobin.

Yeonjun sighed as he shook his head and started gathering his things "sorry I'm leaving"

"No wait" soobin held yeonjun's arm to stop him groom leaving, yeonjun froze at the contact.

When soobin realised he pulled his arm away and covered it with a cough "I mean we'll say it"

"y-you clearly brought me here to waste my time I'm sorry I have things to do" yeonjun got up.

Taehyun's mind suddenly went back to the conversation they had with jiung at soobin's house.

"that's the dumbest way of apologizing to someone. He clearly doesn't want to talk to you people because of the stunt you pulled you can't force you're sorrys on to him
I'm not trying to make ya'll feel bad but that's exactly what I'm doing"

"then what the fuck do we do"

"drop the fucking attitude and put yourself in his place"

"How?"

"losing someone close to you isn't easy, and that being your parents means your life is practically over.

It is probably a sensitive topic for him and you dumb asses decided to take a sneak peek into his private life without any consent.

News flash, some people don't like poeple and ya'll are not very likeable either, except for taehyun" taehyun winked at jiung

"the point is, he's the quiet kid and talking about what happened on school grounds would mean letting more poeple know about his personal life.

If you want to apologize I suggest doing it off school grounds"

"but how we don't know where he lives"

"you stalked him all day but couldn't follow him to his house?"

They all shook their heads.

"I can't believe I'm about to say this but go to his work place, ask his boss, beg him even if you have to.

And when you find him just straight up apologize and show them you're truly sorry, don't come up with any excuses for what you did"

"but will it work?"

"If you really want him to forgive you, you'll make it work"

"we'll leave you alone once you hear us out" taehyun said

Yeonjun froze in his place. He sighed before sitting back down, waiting for at least one of them to start speaking.

"I heard your conversation on a phone call at McDonald's the other day" Kai started speaking "I was so freaked out when I heard you talk about burying someone.

You legit sounded like a murderer. I already didn't enjoy your presence in the group becuase it always felt like you were hiding something. Hearing that call made me even more suspicious.

So on Monday I forced them to follow you along with me. I thought I could find some sort of evidence to prove what you're up to but turns out I was a fucking idiot" Kai paused

"this is my fault to begin with, I was way too conscious of you being there that I let my suspicions take over and even forced them to do the same I'm really sorry"

"that's not true we were all in on it" beomgyu said trying not to make kai feel too guilty.

"I wasn't-ow" taehyun hissed when beomgyu elbowed him.

It as silent afterwards. Everybody looked at yeonjun who had his head down.

"it was a squirrel"

"huh?"

"my boss buried his dead squirrel, and the red stain was from ketchup that a co-worker accidentally dropped on me"

They all stayed quite when they heard yeonjun give an explanation he wasn't obligated to.

"listen I appreciate the apology, I really do, and I accept it but friendships never end well for me. I'm sorry but I can't come back to your friend group"

"here are the doughnuts" yeonjun heard jungkook's voice from behind him "I'm sorry let me just borrow yeonjun"

He let the older drag him towards the back "what the fuck are you doing"

"what do you mean"

"you say you've forgiven them but you haven't"

"that's not it. It's just-I don't know. It happened once who's gonna stop it from happening again. Like I said it won't end well"

"yeonjun" jungkook held his shoulders "they're good people, just by looking at them i can tell they are. I would've never given them your address but they kept pleading and I saw the look in their eyes, they desperately wanted to apologize

Everyone makes mistakes, some are minor ones, some are big even unforgettable, but most people have pure hearts like you. So just give them a chance"

Yeonjun sighed. He knew the elder was right. Life has its ups and downs and it's okay to just lay back and not do anything about it.

But sometimes taking a step forward can be a new, good change. Maybe it's time for yeonjun to take that step.

"fine"

"now get back there, they're waiting for you, especially the one who has a crush on you"

Yeonjun's ears turned red at that "stop talking nonsense"

"I've seen the way he looks at you, it's screams 'I'm whipped' "

"oh god shut up" yeonjun pushed jungkook away before running back to the other.

Jungkook watched with a smile as the boys threw small fists in the air, probably in the celebration of what yeonjun said.

He sighed before getting back to work.