Chap. 14

MONDAY, AUGUST 3RD, 1978

CARLY'S POV: 

I'm going to do it. Once Uncle Albert is at work, and my dad is snorting cocaine so much he's more stoned than normal, I'll ask him. I'll ask him to take an adventure and go down there with me. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? The most I'll see is proof he's weird, or maybe an extra meat case. 

I just need to know why he's so protective over that stupid basement. I also need to know, if 'Robin' really was my Robin. Was that my Robin Arellano? I didn't think so at the time, but now that I think about it, it's hard to sound, act, and talk just like him. Or how he did. I didn't want to believe it then, but I want it more than anything to be true right about now. 

Maybe I'm desperate, lost without hope. Maybe I want him back so bad I'm willing to believe anything. Call me pathetic, but that's all probably true. I can admit it, even when nobody else can. I very pathetically need Robin Arellano, 

and I want to find him while there's a chance he's still alive. 

____________________

YOUR POV: 

Everything has been done. The hole is dug, the windows open, the distraction is planned, now all we have to do is wait for the perfectly exact moment, around 7:00 tonight, when we get ready, and kill him. We kill the antagonist, like all protagonists did before us. It was the perfect, suitable, plan. But it needed to work. 

And it was going to. We work our a*ses of for this, and for what? Failure? No, that won't happen. I simply won't allow it. I won't be just a dead victim, somebody who died in his wrath. To only be brought up when people talk about The Grabber, because victims never get their own time of day. You don't know the names of the victims, you know the names of the killers, and whilst insisting you hate them, you still pay them respect, and don't bother to learn the names of the ones who made him who he is. 

I need to be the surviving one. Me and the boys do. I still have so much to look forward to. Dating Finney, a wedding, maybe future kids, if they aren't annoying as sh*t, high school, I can't die down here. They can't either. We have lives, futures, and careers. We can't give up, especially not against somebody like him. 

We have to fight, and win. We have it all planned out, and as the boys stare at me, their faces burn into my back, I find the courage to turn around and look them in the eye. The six of them smile at me, eyes widened, and we all had mutual feelings. We were finally going to get out of here. 

Finally, our lives would restart. We were waiting, when the basement door opened. I can't believe it. The time is now, we were right all along. We always knew, when they didn't, we did. No matter who denied it, no matter what circumstances. We were going to say something, but we were all frozen in fear, staring at the door frame, eyes widened. 

We didn't know what to say. We weren't expecting this, we weren't prepared. We always knew, deep down, but that doesn't make it easy, or right. This scares me, truly. I don't know what to say, how could this happen? A blessing? A miracle? Or Jesus screwing us over? I haven't figured that out yet. 

I was going to speak, but somebody beat me to it. 

"Carly! Max...?"