we inherited it.

"u up?"

Sara was staring at Conrad's text for some time already. A couple of hours agom Steven brought her here, in Fishers' house because that place was much closer than the house Edwards' rented house. The girl ended up sleeping in the boyish room while the Conklin boy, himself, laid down on the floor. He ignored every single protest the giel had towards him, just laid down and fell asleep immediately.

The room Steven had in that house was so familiar to his room back in their hometown. But, honestly, the Cousins version of it seemed more like him. His childhood toys were all over the place, he didn't keep things like these in his house anymore. Photos, even with her and Theo, posters and other stuff involved things from each era of the boyish life while back at home he remade his own room for dozens of times in his growing process.

So, Edwards was spending her time, observing. By the moment of receiving a text she was sure that she memorized every corner of the bedroom, still have troubles with falling asleep.

Sara was sober by that time, it was the truth, so, she let herself text Conrad back.

"docks in five"

"k"

That was it, no turning back. Heeded, she heard Steven snuffling. He possibly was in the middle of his third dream that night, Edwards tried to sneak out as quiet as she could, stealing her friend's hoodie in concert.

As she was getting closer to docks, she was seeing better the figure staying under the lights. Conrad was already waiting for her, who knows, maybe he was there even before she texted him.

"Hey," he whispered, intending to hug her. Sara drew back. "What happened?"

"Did Nicole tell the truth?" she asked, looking directly in his eyes. They filled with fear the moment her question left her lips. "You wanted to ask Belly, didn't you?"

"S, I--"

"Answer. The question."

"Yes, I did. But..."

"Why?" she felt tears coming up, she wanted to run away butt remember words Steven said to her earlier that night. Conrad loved her. She stayed.

Conrad exhaled, running his palm through the hair. Why was it so hard to say? "I don't know how to explain..."

"Please, try," she begged.

"I love you, Sara," he started. "Not Belly. I was...confused? The way you wanted us to go to the ball together, the way mom wanted, I just...For a second, I felt like I wanted to, too. I mean, really wanted..."

"That means, you have a thing for Bells, right?" she asked, nervously fumbling hoodie ties.

He shook his head actively, he wanted to take her hands in his, to make everything for her forgiveness. "No, I...Belly and I're friends, that's all, S, I swear!"

"Did you notice how often you tell exactly these words?" her questioned was a surprise even for her. That theory came to her head randomly. "What if you're trying to convince yourself that you love me, not Belly? Con, I believe that you love me but what if you have something for Belly, too?"

"No," he answered confidently. It was a second lapse, look," he showed her his phone with the entire conversation. "See?"

"sara and my mom did ask me to ask you to the ball, but that's not why i did it. i did it because i wanted to."

"wait"

"bells, im so srry"

"its a mistake"