Taking Risks

Now that the weekend is over, I'm back to my routine. The only difference is Steeve started to work later to be with me this morning. He is really adorable, putting in a lot more effort than usual. I like it. Never has he done something so sweet in our five years together. Is it four? I can't quite remember... I don't know what is up with him lately, but this time apart clearly did us good. I've never been as happy with him as now. He seems to be changing for the better. But I know it won't last. Steeve is always two seconds away from throwing a tantrum at my face.

He drove me to College this morning as I volunteer at the library from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM while the old ladies get their lunch break. After that, I have a class from 1 PM until 4 PM. I take the bus to get to work at 5 until closing time at 11 PM.

Having a tight schedule, I decided to review my manuscript while sitting at the librarian's desk. I am both anxious and excited to read all the notes Marcel has written me. I should really get into it, but I still don't know how to do it. He was vague and not really structured because he doesn't know how to do this either. He suggested working chapter by chapter. I guess that's what I'll do.

I love that he printed my book and reviewed it the old fashion way. I'm pretty old fashioned myself. I put every chapter in a notebook and, from there, I started to write a story down on my computer. I love writing on paper. The sound of the pen sliding on the sheet is something very appealing to me. It makes me happy, it's weird, but I like it. It's like hearing someone type on a typewriter with the final ding at the end of the line. Ah...

Anyway...

I take off the clip and turn over the first page. I freeze instantly. Red. Everywhere. I start to panic. He has written all over it. I thought he had liked my story... Why would there be so many corrections to make, only on the first page? He was right. He said something like I wouldn't like him so much after reading all his comments. He didn't have a great start, so it isn't making it any better for him.

I must resist the idea to text him and panic a bit, asking him directly what to do. I take out my phone, but the time strikes me first and makes me realise he is maybe in class. I wouldn't want him to distract me from my lessons, so I won't do the same.

I try my best to calm down. I try to see it differently. Reading all the comments on the first four pages makes me realise how much work and thought he put into this. He must have read it once entirely to decide if he likes the story or not, but he must have read it more than twice to review it as thoroughly. I find it sweet how dedicated he has been.

I pay attention to every little detail intently, organising the things I can change to do it right now. I take my blue pen and write in the margins available or directly on the text. I will correct the entire chapter on my computer once I have reviewed it all on paper first. It's a way to keep track of the evolution, and it makes me proud.

It's fascinating to have another point of view. It might be rigorous, rational, and constructive, but it too often opposes mine, and I have reached my limit quickly.

Who wants the entire first chapter to describe the settings, the time and the place? It's boring. You want to get right into the action to get the reader hooked. He thinks I rush too much the meeting of my protagonists. Bullshit! My intro was captivating, I know how an incipit works, and I think I did well. It captivated him, didn't it?! I can easily take all the syntax and descriptions reviews, but the meeting of the male and the female characters is so sudden because of her apparent clumsiness. It gives the readers a hint of how she will be throughout the story. It's a significant part of why he is charmed so much.