13: Angelic Beauty

There was a company dinner today at 8 pm and she had been practically running around her house while being on the phone with Farha. It happened after every six months. Farha had been asking her to calm down but that was the last thing on Jalilah's mind right now. First, she was nervous about the thong of people she would have to meet today, second, she was nervous because if what they had planned with Farha didn't work out, she knew she would break down in front of everyone. And the main reason for all this is, parties aren't her thing.

It had been a week since she had last seen Yazeed and she knew she would have to meet him today even if all he would do will be ignoring her, she would take chances and see if she would be successful even if it's for once. "Are you sure this will fit? Farha, don't make me go and embarrass myself!" She placed her phone on her mirror and lifted the veil Farha suggested she wrap over her head. She grinned and nodded her head.

"Wait, I think we need to try the clothes first and I'll choose which ones look best in you. Yalla, go in and try the first suggestion we had." She had bought a new gown for this dinner, but Farha being Farha said the gown wouldn't go well with the event just because her ex-boyfriend liked blue and Jalilah 'foolishly' thought blue was a good colour. She had no choice but to drop it and surfed through her endless gowns and abayas.

She came out of the bathroom lifting the edges of the gown so she wouldn't trip. She stood in front of the phone and turned a little while she began wrapping the veil around her head, Farha said it would match this gown. She stared at her until she was done before she shook her head with a pout. "You look okay in it, but it doesn't look like partying. I suggest you put the other ones."

Jalilah's shoulders sagged with defeat, "Don't you think it's because my face is a mess now? By the time I wear it, it will look so good on me that you have no choice but to keep awing like an ambulance." She laughed at the way Farha scrunched up her face and rolled her eyes at her.

"You're sick in the head. It's not like you're extremely beautiful, I'm just being nice and considerate towards your sick self. Now, wear the other gowns and abayas."

She looked at her and slumped on the vanity stool, "Honestly, I'm so tired of this, Farha. Why don't you let me wear my new gown? You admit it yourself that it's a nice gown and it will look so good on me, you admit that yourself. All this is stressing my life."

She bossily shook her head, "Why are you like this, Jalilah? I told you blue has some bad luck with it. That day, I thought to wear his stupid ass best colour would make him accept me, but the idiot didn't even notice that I had blue on me. Now, get your lazy ass up and go change into those gowns until we get the one that will enhance your beauty, dear friend." Okay, the actual truth is that he was never her boyfriend. He was only a nice friend that she assumed had a liking on her and she started dating him in her head. It got to the point that Jalilah asked her to profess her feelings for him because living that way will bring more bad than good. Which even after she had invited him for lunch, looked at her best, told him what she felt, he blatantly rejected her that he had no feelings for her and he wasn't ready for any commitments.

She knew Farha hardly ever spoke about it, but she was still hurting about what had happened because she truly loved the guy. But being the hard girl she portrayed herself as, she had never spoken about him in a way that showed she had missed him or she wished he was still in her life, only insults. Which Jalilah figured out were her way of feeling better if someone hurt her. She would insult their sick and unlucky selves for not having her in their lives and she would at least use that way to tell herself that she wasn't at the losing end, they were.

"Okay, I'll do that. But if none of them fits me as you said, I think I won't go to this party." She rolled her eyes out of desperation and stood up to her feet, she was holding one of the gowns in her hand when Farha spoke again.