16: Ruination

They were seated together with Mama in the living room, waiting for the driver to bring Yazeed home. She looked at Mama and heaved a sigh when she flashed her a wide smile, "Why are you so nervous, Jalilah am? What's the surprise you're talking about?" The moment Jalilah heard that she wanted to vanish, but she knew she had to do this.

"They'll be here in no time, Mama. But first, no questions, you promised, right?" Mama nodded her head and Jalilah went again, "And you also promised you'll understand me to the best of your ability."

"Yes, I promise to do all that. And I can't wait for this surprise of yours to come, what is it like?" Jalilah chuckled a humourless chuckle and shook her head.

"Mama you're just trying to force the words out of my mouth. You'll see." They all heard the sound of the car engine as the driver parked the car, they had driven close to the main entrance, it was quite a long way from the gate. "I'll go get them, Mama. Just patiently wait here, okay?" She nodded her head with a smile and watched as Jalilah rushed outside, in the clothes she had changed.

She was happy to see him, yes she knew it was barely an hour since they departed, but she had missed him already. She sprinted to where he stood, flashing her his beautiful smile, it was evident for the way he looked, freshly out of the bath with an attire she wished she would keep staring at him until she got tired. She was giddy when she stood in front of him, "You're welcome to our house. Mama has been waiting!" She said excitedly and Yazeed had no other choice but to chuckle at how excited she seemed.

"Are you so happy to see me?" He asked, and she nodded her head without shame.

"I couldn't believe I've missed you already. Can we get in?" She asked and motioned the way for him. He nodded his head while Jalilah exchanged pleasantries with the driver and he drove the car into the parking lot.

Before they got in, she noticed he had slackened and stopped moving, she turned to look at him with an encouraging smile. "What is it? Are you nervous already?" She asked.

He reluctantly nodded his head at her, "Yes, I am. What are you going to tell her? I don't want her to have a bad impression of me. Like, I want to push her little girl into something she didn't want you doing."

Jalilah chuckled and moved to where she was, "Come on, Mama isn't like that. And I made her promised she will understand me, and I assure you she will. Let's get in? Or should I calm you down a bit?" She asked with a little reluctant smile on her lips.

"Yes, I'd need that." And she was reluctant at first, but she held a stoic expression and took his hand in hers, squeezing it a bit. He flashed her a surprised look and she shrugged off her shoulder, "You'll be fine this way, I promise." He felt tongue-tied and watched as she guided them into the living room, only to find Mama wasn't there.

He took a look around the living room and to say he was impressed was an understatement. He knew she didn't look poor, but this was something he had never imagined. They were filthy rich, and she made mention that her father had died long ago. She didn't act as all those rich girls did. He loved the way she was humble. He turned to her and smiled, "It's beautiful."

"Not like your huge house though," she casually smiled and shrugged off her shoulder, letting go of his hand as he sat down. "I'll bring your food here, I didn't eat too. I've missed eating with you."

He could only watch her with a smile as she disappeared into one of the doors and she emerged with a teenage girl holding some of the things for her. After they kept everything on the centre table, she pointed at the girl, or rather, he would love to refer to her as a lady. "Yazeed, this is Fareeda, the twins I've told you about. Fareed isn't home, but if he comes back before you leave, I'll get him for you."