22: Rule Breakers

She was walking fast in her room, if not because of Farha that had called her, she wouldn't have woken up on time. And that way, she would have tempered with their agreed time with Jibril, which will be so careless of her. It was Sunday already, and the last time she saw Yazeed was when she left him in the dining table and went to her room, Friday night. He was doing all it took not to crossways with her, and little did he know that she wanted that more than how he wanted that. In her usual abaya dressing, Jalilah got ready and was walking down the stairs when she met him. Where was he going? Only God knew. But it looked as if he was heading outside.

They got to the living room together and she gulped down a lump in her throat before she greeted him, realizing it was only decent of her if she did that. "Good afternoon," she greeted, and he slightly turned to where she was.

"Afternoon," he said. And instead of him to take his eyes off her immediately, like he used to, Yazeed began having a survey on her body. "Where too? David isn't here, it's Sunday." That reminded him, yesterday David called and told him that the car was faulty, that as to why he didn't get to pick her up on Friday. But he didn't feel there was a need to tell her that.

"Oh," she smiled and began fidgeting with her fingers, whenever she did that, Yazeed knew there were lots of things on her mind which might not sit right with him. "Jibril is taking me out, on...a date. Yeah, a date." She looked up at him with the shy smile he always loved from her, only this time she wasn't smiling because of him.

He felt as an arrow struck his heart, he knew it wasn't because she was going out with Jibril, but...he didn't even know what he was feeling. He stared at her again and put his hands into his pockets, to give himself the composure he needed, the stoic expression he had to paint on his face to make sure she didn't know what was going on in his heart. "On a date? To where?" He asked, by Allah, this wasn't a good feeling in his heart. What the hell was wrong with him?

The excited Jalilah was back, she was having that giddy smile on her lips as she began listing the places Jibril told her they would visit. "First, he'll take me to the DHL office, I have a package with them. Then to any close art centre, I'd be going there on weekends and paint. Then he'll take me some places, I can't remember the names, but it's fun and I'll feel good. See? It's a great time to spend the weekend, right?" She asked, the smile not wavering on her face.

He looked at her and the way she seemed happy made something stroke at his heart, was she happy because she was going to go out with Jibril? He shook his head, "No, you aren't going there. You aren't going out with Jibril, Jalilah."

She stared at him with mouth wide agape and shook her head, "What do you mean? I need to at least go to the DHL office to collect my package, the art centre too, please." She sounded like a whining younger sister and Yazeed kept shaking his head. What the hell was wrong with this man? She wanted to glare at him, but somehow, the expression he had was appealing to her heart.

"Then I'll take you there." He declared and walked into the living room, he took his car key before he met her where he had left her. "Can we leave?" He asked, and Jalilah shook her head. She wanted to smile, or even laugh because this was surprising. How could Yazeed? What was he thinking?

"I can't follow you, if you have somewhere you need to go, then you're free to. I've already promised him, I can't change my words, not when we have barely thirty minutes for the time we have agreed to meet. I can't do this to him." She stubbornly shook her head and wrapped her hands over her chest, there was no way she was following Yazeed today.

"Jalilah, no matter how much you'll prove to be stubborn, you aren't getting out with Jibril, and that's final. Let's leave, but if you don't want the package anymore, we can stay at home all day." He looked exactly like Yazeed, sounded like him even, but these words were not his. Because these words were something a jealous man would utter, and she would hope to die than believe Yazeed was jealous over her.