24: Emotional Blackmail

She was walking around the kitchen, picking one thing or the other as she moved it to where it was, while she cooked. Her phone was pinned between her shoulder and her ear, listening to the ramblings coming from Farha. It was always about Nura, how she was tired of how persistent he was and how she wanted to push him out of her life but he acted as if he didn't know what she was doing. She was giving her a few advices and when Yazeed walked into the kitchen, he rushed to where she was and held the phone for her. She flashed him an appreciative smile and he spoke softly at her.

"Should I bring your AirPods for you?" He asked, following her around the kitchen so she couldn't miss what Farha was saying.

Apologetically, she shook her head at him, "It's in my room," she sadly uttered and he nodded his head. Even though they were quite better than before, they were still things they didn't cross, borders that she knew would forever remain a boundary between them, which included their rooms.

"Jalilah, is that his voice I'm hearing?" Farha asked, and Jalilah silently prayed Farha wouldn't be her old self now, because she was sure whatever Farha said would be heard by him, and if that isn't embarrassing she didn't know what was.

"Yes, he's holding the phone for me, I told you I'm cooking," Jalilah spoke through gritted teeth, she wished the way she sounded would give Farha the impression that she was together with him.

"Oh, ask him to put the phone on speaker for you, I want to ask him something." This serious tone of Farha didn't sound promising, Jalilah was afraid to do what she said and she would end up embarrassed.

"What are you going to tell him, Farha? Or you wanted to ask, right? What is it?" Ya Rabb, don't let this girl embarrass her as she did before, because she was sure it would have much impact on her now more than it did before.

"Come on, I won't embarrass you, I promise. It's just a question, come on, Jalilah." She whined, and Jalilah looked at him after she opened the fridge with a smile.

"She wants you to put the phone on speaker, that she has something to ask you." He made an O expression with his lips before he did as she said. "Okay, it's on speaker, what do you have to ask him for?" Jalilah spoke while she moved to the cooking gas and began stirring the soup she had, he followed her.

"Hey, Farha. Good evening, how are you?" He spoke softly, and for a moment Jalilah forgot the way his voice sounded, and she couldn't help turning to give him one of her best smiles.

Farha smiled before she softly chuckled, "I promised not to embarrass this girl but every time I heard your voice I can't help but believe it more when she tells me how your voice sounds. Anyways, I can't break my promise even though I wish I can't tell you some of her little secrets which will lead me to embarrass myself because there were times I was damn angry at you that I wish I could take the next flight to wherever you are, maybe kill you or just strangle you to your death bed. Anyways, my name is Farha as you know and I have a request to make."

By the time she was done, Yazeed was laughing so hard that a quirked Jalilah had to turn to make sure he was the one laughing. "Okay, I think I should apologize first, I've done that to her already. I'm sorry, Jalilah's best friend. What's the request you want to make? I think I owe it to you." He smiled when Jalilah muttered a soft sorry and he waved dismissively. He didn't know why he was never angry at what Farha would say to him, she always sounded funny to his ears.

"I want to see her, Baby Jally, I mean. I've missed her, the last time I've seen her was nearly a year now, will you please bring her to Abeokuta? Or if you have things to do, someone can bring her..." She was silent and when she realized that even if he spoke he was going to say no, she chirped in again, "Oh, I even forgot. You shouldn't worry about it, she'll ask Jibril to bring her here, An Jali Jali, please call him immediately after we're done with this phone call, I'm sure he'll bring you, right? You told me he was in town, yeah?"