~13~

William woke up to the sun beaming through the cracks in the curtains. He saw a small mass on the bed, sleeping. After last night's events, he remembered that he gave Anna the bed and he slept on the sette in the corner. He dressed in his clothes and left a pouch of money on the bedside table, a little note beside it.

Use this for some paints, if I come back, I don't want to see you selling yourself to other men.

He left the room with his belongings before making his way to the stables "Come on girl, its not that far"

On his journey home, he looked down at the ring in his pocket and smiled. Hopefully by the end of the evening he would have a fiancé. When he walked through the doors of the plantation, he fought against the urge to call 'honey I'm home'.

"Eliza? Where are you my dear?"

"Will! Will!" Arthur ran down the stairs and practically threw himself at him. He laughed slightly and lifted the lad into his arms "How dare you leave! Mama was upset!"

"Where is she my boy?"

"She's in her bedroom, she's still upset I think. You need to apologise for leaving her one!"

"I will little man, how about you get washed for dinner? It will be served soon" Arthur hugged him once again and ran back to his room. He smiled slightly and made his way up the stairs to his woman's room. As usual, he knocked before entering, only to see her reading a book on the bed "My love, these past few days have been so lonely without you"

"I'm glad that you're home, though I have something to say..."

"And I have something really important to ask you...but you can go first if you wish" William smiled and sat on the edge of the bed "May I kiss you hello?"

Eliza shook her head before resting her book on the bedside table "I need you to be completely honest with me...about everything, and my answer to your question will depend on that"

"Well I shall answer all questions honestly"

"Alright...so, what is your real name?"

"William?"

"Middle?"

"Jackson?"

"And your last name?"

William swallowed thickly before looking down at his hands "You know my last name-"

"No, your real name is William Jackson...Tavington" His eyes shot up to meet hers, fear prominent in them "That's what's on your coat isn't it? And your sabre and letters?"

He scowled slightly before curling his lip "you went through my belongings?"

Anger burned through her blood at those words "You lied to me" Eliza defended herself and crossed her arms "You lied to me and somehow got into my bed!"

"Somehow?!" William snapped and stood up "You wanted me! You had the option to stop!"

"Don't you dare shout at me Butcher! You're a monster! You killed children!" He closed his eyes and looked down at the floor "It's your fault that my brother is dead!"

"That was not my fault! Don't you dare blame me for that!"

"Then why did he die by a creek when Gabriel Martin lead them to avenge his wife! You were there! You should be able to recall it from memory!" Eliza snapped and got off the bed before walking over towards him "You were probably the last thing he saw! He was seventeen William and I'm in love with the man who could've murdered him!"

"I will not be blamed for something that a boy did!"

"Would you have killed me? If I were there? I was Fourteen, or would you have let your men have me?"

"How dare you presume that! My men were honourable!"

"It's a shame that their commander wasn't, you pillaged and raped your way through the Colonies!"

William scoffed before walking over towards her "I never raped anyone, I killed in the name of my king for my people! And I will not be talked down to by a woman wh-" before he could say anything else, Eliza slapped him across the face. He closed his eyes, somehow forgetting his anger in that moment. Though he could feel a warm liquid trickle down his chin.

"William...oh god I'm so sorry!" Eliza squeaked and looked at his lip "oh heavens! I made you bleed..."

"Its not the first time, I've been wounded before, but this is different" He laughed slightly and looked her dead in the eyes "You trusted William Thorne, I knew you wouldn't trust William Tavington"

"Because one is a murderer! You killed innocents!"

"And I would give anything to go back and change that"

"Get out and stay out of my life, Butcher"

"very well dearest, I shall leave"

~~~

In a haste, he packed his clothes and made his way to the staircase. Arthur rushed up to him and hugged his waist "We're having chicken soup for dinner Will!" The lad beamed and then noticed the clothes he was wearing.

William smiled slightly and knelt down at his side "I'm afraid that I cannot attend this evening, I'm going on a little adventure for a few weeks"

"Oh...but won't mama be upset?"

"She'll be alright without me, but I'll miss you little man" He hugged the boy before kissing his forehead "I want you to have this" William smiled and reached into his shirt to bring out a small golden cross with a chain "My father gave this to me when I was just a boy, it kept me safe and now I'm giving it to you"

"What do I do with it?"

"You wear it or do what I did and keep it in your pocket"

Arthur shook his head and gave it back to him "No, your papa gave it to you, you should keep it"

William hummed in response before hugging the boy once again "I'm going to miss you Arty, take care of your mother for me and tell her I'm sorry? Can you do that for me? And give her this" he gave him a small scrap of parchment before standing once again "I love you little man, I'll miss you"

"I love you too Papa!" Arthur sadl smiled and hugged him once again "you don't need to leave..."

"I do little man, I'll be back soon...I promise"

~~~

"Mama, Will wanted you to have this" Arthur gave her the scrap of paper before leaving her bedroom.

'my love,

I'm sorry for my deceit, but one thing is true, I love you to your very bones. I shall stay in Charlestown until I decide to go back to England. I won't forget you, I couldn't. I love you too much.

Forever yours,

William Tavington'

Eliza was angry, yes, but she was also in love with him. She kissed the parchment before putting it on her bedside table "I love you too..."