18 | a bad dream

a   b a d   d r e a m

a b a d d r e a m

     Aaron was quieter than usual after the other boys left. I heard him trying not to yell at Kian for some reason, keeping his voice low because of me. As much as I wanted to listen, I minded my business. His demeanor changed back to the way it was before I had my first encounter with him.

Aaron's blue eyes were icy and his fists were tense on his sides. He was back to being cold and unapproachable with a scowl sewn onto his face. Being me, I was too shy (scared? maybe) to ask what was wrong, afraid of his response. What if he ignored me or said that it was "none of my fúcking business"? I don't know Aaron that well, but I do know that his words can cut anyone open.

"Get out." His rough voice interrupted the silence, pulling over. My heart began to thud when he didn't bother to look at me. "Did you hear me?"

"What do you mean, get out? We're not even near my neighborhood."

"Walk the rest of the way, I need to be somewhere else."

"But my house is literally-"

"Look, you're wasting my damn time. You need money for the bus?" Aaron opened the armrest and pulled out a five dollar bill. "Here," he tossed it onto my lap.

I narrowed my eyes from utter disbelief, "What the hell? What did I do?"

"Nothing, I'm just telling you to get out of my car and you still ain't move an inch. You dumb or deaf?"

Ouch.

"I don't understand why you're being so-"

"Get out." Aaron repeated. His voice was slow and patronizing, as if he were speaking to a child. My heart sank.

Tears began to blur my vision as a gathered my clothes from last night and the money. Aaron showed no mercy, no emotion, rolling his eyes at me. He didn't even wait for me to fully step away when he sped off, leaving me several blocks away from my home.

I was still confused as to why he kicked me out but I knew it was too good to be true. A guy as compelling and charismatic as him would never want anything more than a one night stand. This was the second time it happened. I let Aaron fool around with me, only to regret it less than twenty-four hours later. The only difference now is that we did more than just touch and make out, and I told him things. Personal things. I told him stuff I never even talked about with my closest friends.

I loved how he held me when I began to cry, and he knew just the right words to say to make me feel better. Aaron is the only one that can comfort me properly, since I've got no one else, but he's treating me like a disposable napkin. The worst part is that I can't simply ignore him the next day after school.

"Elizabeth!" A voice scared me out of my thoughts. I yelped and quickly apologized to the woman who was now drenched in ice-water.

"Oh, my gosh! I'm so sorry, ma'am!" I pulled a rag from my apron and stopped pouring her drink. "Here," I handed it to her and she snatched it angrily.