26 | patience

p a t i e n c e

p a t i e n c e

I turn down the air conditioning in Aaron's car and gaze out the cold, glass window, watching tall buildings and small boutiques whir past. I think about Jamison and wonder if I should call him. Maybe we can hang out as friends? I'm in desperate need of new ones. Good ones. And he's on my tiny list of possibilities.

"What time does Mark usually get out of work?" Aaron asked me. His warm hand is still placed on my thigh while the other steers the wheel. I'm sure the gesture was to bring comfort, but my immature hormones didn't really get the memo.

"Around six, six thirty."

"You wanna get your stuff today?"

Taking a deep breath, I reply. "I don't want to go back in there."

"If I knew where everything was, you would never have to step into that neighborhood again." Aaron admits softly. "Are you ready to talk about what happened that night?"

The mood dimmed. Aaron pulled over beside an outdoor mall, turned down his music and waited for me to say something. "I just-" I close my eyes and the memories slowly resurfaced, forcing me to open them again. This was the inevitable discussion that I've avoided the past few days. I was nervous about losing my composure and crying all over again. But most of all, I was worried about what Aaron would do.

I know how much damage Aaron could inflict. I know that his anger has no limit. Surprisingly, I don't want anyone else getting hurt. Not even Mark. I hate him and everything he's done, but I need someone to watch over my mom until I can get her help.

He's awful to her but at least he keeps her alive.

I start to pick at the bracelets on my wrist and then decide against it. I'm not ready for that conversation. "After you dropped me off, I started packing, like you told me to. I was almost done and then he called me into the kitchen, told me to sit down. H-He asked where I was that afternoon because he went looking for me at the library and couldn't find me. I tried to lie about it, but..." I failed. "He told me it was okay, that I should just tell the truth and I'd be fine." My voice began to waver, throat closing up, eyes watering.

Just breathe.

"I-I told him and I know, that was so stupid. I should've done better or tried harder-"

"It wasn't your fault, Elle." Aaron reassures.

I shake my head. His words are kind, but they couldn't penetrate the barbed wire that secured their place around my heart.

I proceed to tell Aaron about everything that happened. I tell him about how Mark held me down and tried to rape me. Aaron stopped the engine and held me close as unwanted tears fell. But something was unusual about his embrace. His arms were rigid, barely affectionate.